Author Topic: Debut Novels and Non-fiction Debuts  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Jillanne Nehls

• Expert in Publishing
  • Expert in Publishing
    • Streamline Words
Debut Novels and Non-fiction Debuts
« on: January 24, 2007, 03:33:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post the most recent debut novels (meaning first time published authors) here as I get them.  My purpose in doing so is to show that new writers are being published all the time. You can do it too!  Keep writing, stay determined, advance your skills and knowledge, never give up, and keep writing. There's a heckuva lot of talent here of which I have a lot of faith in.

1. Laura Viera Rigler - CONFESSIONS OF A JANE AUSTEN ADDICT, a literary homage, comedy, and exploration of identity, destiny, and the nature of time, that tells the story of a contemporary thirty-something LA woman and Jane Austen fan who wakes up inside the body of an Englishwoman in Austen's time.

2. Thriller
Founder of the web site Backspace Karen Dionne's FREEZING POINT - already endorsed by Lee Child, David Morrell, Douglas Preston, Gayle Lynds, John Case and John Lescroart - in which extremists plot to stop an energy company from melting icebergs into drinking water - neither realizing that the water is contaminated with an unknown, deadly disease.

3.  Children's: Fantasy
Sarah Prineas's MAGIC THIEF, about a young thief who picks a wizard's pocket and ends up as his rebellious apprentice, to Melanie Donovan at Harper Children's, in a three-book deal

4. Crime Thriller: Jim Hanson's NIGHT LAWS published in 2006. The tentative date for the second LAWS book, which will probably be called FEAR LAWS, PREY LAWS or DARK LAWS Is around February 2007.

5.  Leslie Turner's debut novel THE MOTH'S KISS, the story of a recently widowed young woman who sets off to her home town, a small seaside resort, and begins an intense affair with her husband's twin, there unraveling the painful but colorful history of their childhood, a suffocating Italian matriarch, and the bonds that tie a family, to Imogen Taylor at Macmillan, for two books.

6. Taxonomist Sally Hinchcliffe's first novel THE YEAR LIST, a psychological thriller set in the world of obsessive bird-watching and pitched with the question, "imagine if you spent your whole time watching, only to find out that you were being watched yourself,"

7.  The Thirteenth Tale - mainstream
by Diane Setterfield
Hardcover: Sep 2006

8.  The Stolen Child : A Novel - fantasy
by Keith Donohue
Hardcover: May 2006

There's more...I'll post the debut authors now and then. I hope it keeps writers motivated.

Smiles,
Jillanne - Moderator
Jillanne Nehls
Streamline Words
Refining the Writer ~ Representing
Authors to Agents & Publishers
Excellence in Ghostwriting
janehls@streamlinewords.com
www.streamlinewords.com

Nadine L

Re: Debut Novels and Non-fiction Debuts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:06:12 AM »
Jillanne,

That was a good idea for a post. "People" are always saying it is almost impossible for first time authors to get a publishing contract. That is absolutely nuts. Of course first time authors with no inside connections get published.

Jenna Grace (MWC) has a debut YA coming out in a few months from Bloomsbury US. Jen has no inside connections in the industry and her agent is relatively new (at the time of the sale).  And, the sale didn't take very long.

The point being, if the ms is good it will sell. Period.

Thanks for posting this. It is good to be reminded that there is hope.

Nadine

PS Karen Dionne (# 2 above) told me that she was in a bookstore when her agent called to tell her of the sale. Isn't that cool!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:09:07 AM by Nadine L »