Author Topic: Getting inside a character's mind  (Read 13932 times)

Offline jagsaw

• david spade rocks
Re: Getting inside a character's mind
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
I find it helps to map a character to someone you know, so you can make every aspect of them unique. The way they move, speak.
new ideas bubbling up all the time?
write them down.... OR ELSE!!!

Offline thatollie

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2007, 02:06:35 PM »
I find it helps to map a character to someone you know, so you can make every aspect of them unique. The way they move, speak.
I don't know, if they're based on someone are they unique? Or are they copies of that person.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline jagsaw

• david spade rocks
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2007, 02:25:32 PM »
well no, I mean... gargh, it's hard to describe. It's like getting a dummy with no face and dressing it up and customizing the way it'd work. I make them like a real person and visualise conversations with them, I ask them questions and stuff..... damn it it's too hard to describe.
new ideas bubbling up all the time?
write them down.... OR ELSE!!!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »
I don't know, if they're based on someone are they unique? Or are they copies of that person.

They only become copies if you let them.  if you take one characteristic, either physical or behavioural and then build that character your own way from there they will be unique.

If they are too close a copy they will behave the way the 'donor' person does, and resist your attempts to make them different.

Far better to unleash some inner facets of your own personality.  Think like a 'Method' actor, get 'into' each character in turn and act out their lives through your pen or keyboard.

Some people have trouble doing this, but it gets easier with practice.  Very few really worthwhile things just happen instantly.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2007, 06:43:10 PM »
One of my characters is a lot like me, in some ways. I'm still sort-of in the self-indulgent cr*p stage.

Offline paramour

• My name is Pinky!
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2007, 09:20:43 PM »
They only become copies if you let them.  if you take one characteristic, either physical or behavioural and then build that character your own way from there they will be unique.

If they are too close a copy they will behave the way the 'donor' person does, and resist your attempts to make them different.

Far better to unleash some inner facets of your own personality.  Think like a 'Method' actor, get 'into' each character in turn and act out their lives through your pen or keyboard.

Some people have trouble doing this, but it gets easier with practice.  Very few really worthwhile things just happen instantly.

Gyppo

Gyppo, you are very right on in this way of thinking.

I have always thought that for a character to become believable and real is to give them pieces of your own personality. Little pieces of the people who you are and are in your deep down inside. Having a multiple personality disorder may be helpful! ;) But I think we all have different facets of our personalities just screaming to get out and I feel this is a subconscious driving force for the majority of the writers out there. I have heard of many well established and famous writers confessing that they pull their characters from within themselves. It's a very easy place to start.
~paramour.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2007, 11:17:42 PM »
Very few really worthwhile things just happen instantly.
I written some very good stuff by accident. So it does happen occasionally.

Offline Summerwriter

• Just one silly writer
    • Winterwriter writes
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2007, 04:57:07 AM »
Quote from: Patron

If you read any interviews with many successful writers that share secrets about characters you will find that character backgrounds are extremely important.

You need to get inside their heads and really get to know them like they have been people you have known for years. The reason is once you do this your writing is very simplified in that you know what how when and why the character is going to do, react and say.....as it's been said so many times; the characters write themselves.

I must say I agree with you, Patron. I know I may have said this about dozen times, but I dare to say it again. My Inner Writer does that all the time. I mean...let's take an example. One of my characters is called Sue. I had no idea if her parents were alive or not. Well, my own private detective, Gisela aka my Inner Writer, revealed me Sue's father's name. Gisela told me also Sue's father does not like Sue's boyfriend. That is almost all I know of Sue for now. And about the boyfriend...well...do I dare to say this? Well, maybe I do. Gisela whispered to me Sue will be very unhappy because of his boyfriend in the near future. I should write it down...but something holds me back. I don't know what it is...but at least I know something about Sue. And this is the way it goes with all my characters. Gisela dictates me everything. She is a bridge between me and my characters, so to speak. My characters speak to her first, and then she dictates everything to me. I just write all the things down.
Best: Summerwriter

My writing blog: http://lucindalynx.blogspot.com

Offline thatollie

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2007, 12:59:41 PM »
Hey summerwriter, you'd better get all that character description done today. Tomorrow's the first day of summer.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I think you can leave a lot of blanks. Create stuff on the fly, leave bits for the reader's imagination.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2007, 08:49:01 AM »
Hey summerwriter, you'd better get all that character description done today. Tomorrow's the first day of summer.
Posted on May 31.

I think Summer may have been cancelled. More time for character sheets.

Offline Summerwriter

• Just one silly writer
    • Winterwriter writes
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2007, 07:03:49 PM »
They only become copies if you let them.  if you take one characteristic, either physical or behavioural and then build that character your own way from there they will be unique.

That is true.

I can't comment this in any way.

Far better to unleash some inner facets of your own personality.  Think like a 'Method' actor, get 'into' each character in turn and act out their lives through your pen or keyboard. 

That won't be easy.

Some people have trouble doing this, but it gets easier with practice.  Very few really worthwhile things just happen instantly.

Gyppo

Exactly!
Best: Summerwriter

My writing blog: http://lucindalynx.blogspot.com

Offline thatollie

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2007, 08:30:48 PM »
Far better to unleash some inner facets of your own personality.  Think like a 'Method' actor, get 'into' each character in turn and act out their lives through your pen or keyboard.
Ah, but the writer is Writer/Actor/Director/Sound & Lighting Guys/Costume Designer/Camera operator [I hesitate to use "Man"].

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »
Ah, but the writer is Writer/Actor/Director/Sound & Lighting Guys/Costume Designer/Camera operator [I hesitate to use "Man"].

So?  Writing is a one-man-show anyway.  And I don't hesitate to use the term man ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2007, 09:59:59 AM »
That's the point I was making.