Author Topic: Subject Guides Wanted  (Read 10785 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Subject Guides Wanted
« on: January 19, 2007, 05:44:30 AM »
The giant About.com website has a lot of vacancies for freelance Guides right now. See this post on my blog for full details of what the job entails and where to apply.

http://www.mywritingblog.com/writer/2007/01/could-you-be-guide.html

Good luck!

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Kiara

Re: Subject Guides Wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:11:19 AM »
Nick,
Yes, I agree with you.  This offer is excellent.  It would be a great way to launch a career in any one of the topics--including freelance writing!  As a beginner, I won't be applying for that topic.......not yet.
Thank you.
Kiara

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:14:45 AM »
Nick,
Yes, I agree with you.  This offer is excellent.  It would be a great way to launch a career in any one of the topics--including freelance writing!  As a beginner, I won't be applying for that topic.......not yet.
Thank you.
Kiara

I suspect there will be a lot of competition for that particular vacancy. But wouldn't it be great if an MWC member got the job?

Nick  :D
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

SuzieHarris

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:49:28 AM »
Nick,

I already applied for that topic  :P

Suzie x

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »
Hi Suzie

Yes, I just saw your comment on my blog item. Good luck!

Nick  :)

Offline jojohnson

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 06:06:13 AM »
Being new to this site, something which has annoyed me greatly due to the vast material available to writer's, I think this opprtunity is perfect for me. Thanks Nick, I would never have found it without your message and links. Here's hoping to a positive response to my application!
Jo Johnson.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 06:12:35 AM »
Good luck to you too, Jo!

Nick

Offline peavey

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 07:09:19 AM »
I lurk here now and then, and just registered because I wanted to respond to this.

About is patting itself on the back for "raising the bar," in their words. It's tough to get accepted and go through training. You won't know even if you have competition until your training is over and you won't know if you've made it until then. It's been almost 9 years since I went through it and it was very intense then. They say it's more so now.

I can speak freely about it, since my contract was terminated just a few days ago.

Since the New York Times bought About, a lot of the older Guides have either quit or been terminated. That's why there are so many openings - that and the determination to expand into more topics again. If you can toe the line and if you don't mind doing a lot of work that isn't writing, you can eventually make a very good income there. (Be aware that it can take over your life!)

I enjoyed working there and have no ill feelings toward About. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions about it if I can.

--Pat

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 07:42:23 AM »
Many thanks, Pat. Your offer is much appreciated, and judging by the interest this item has generated, I'm sure there will be a few questions for you.

Also, welcome to MWC! Glad you finally registered as a member.

Nick  :)

Offline peavey

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
Thanks, Nick.

I've answered some private messages, but I'd be glad to answer in the open forum, too. 

SuzieHarris

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm having a major sulk right now! I have heard nothing about my application, but my husband has been put through to prep!

Seriously, I'm proud as hell of him  ;D

Any advice on how to approach training, Pat?

Suzie xx

Offline peavey

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
The only way to approach training is with all your heart and soul! As I said, it's been 9 years since I went through it, but at that time, I felt as if I were glued to my computer.

Be sure to read everything they give you and as much more as you can find. They're not always up to date on changes being made, so watch closely and ask as many questions as you need to. If Eric is still working in the training area, he's very patient and an all around nice person, so ask him. :)

And don't worry if you haven't heard back about your application. Length of time it takes to answer doesn't mean a thing one way or another. Sometimes they're waiting for something else to happen (another candidate to apply, someone to return from vacation, materials to be updated, etc.).

Good luck!

--Pat

Offline WeAreWriters

• My two babies ^_^
    • We Are Writers
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 02:10:56 PM »
Many thanks for that one Nick