Author Topic: How To Set And Achieve Your Goals  (Read 1709 times)

Zoe

How To Set And Achieve Your Goals
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:14:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

please take the time to critique this piece i wrote for a Faith-based monthly newletter i write. You may not agree with the biblical side but thats ok, i only need your feedback as a fellow writer and respect your religious background ok? :)
Thanks for taking the time to rate this, i am looking forward to your feedback, comments, questions and suggestions.

"Behold, I will do a new thing. Now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it?" (Isaiah 43:19)

A   Fresh  start. A chance to change. The beginning of a New Year brings the opportunity to do things differently. The promise of new things brings hope as promises are made; resolutions for self-improvement are the talk of the day for many. Forming good habits, loosing those extra kilos or achieving financial freedom are common examples.

These Valuable Tips are to help you with your goals. After all it’s a Fresh New Year, a great time to set some GOALS and achieve them.

"Do not remember the former things." (Isaiah 43:18)
 Maybe you cringed when I mentioned goals; the guilt of   past failures haunts you. So what?! Failure is a situation not a person. Keep reading, you are not an exception neither are you a failure, you just failed.
 What would become of a kid who was learning to walk if they stayed down when they fell? Don’t stay down, get up and let yesterdays mistakes be the stepping stones of tomorrow’s victories.

IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN YOU ARE PLANNING TO FAIL.
 I believe one of the reasons people fail to accomplish their goals is lack of planning. Most people plan their vacations better than their lives. How often did you show up at the airport unprepared expecting to fly somewhere, for sometime? Ok, even with Last Minute you took your Passport and packed a bag. Yet in life we often go through unprepared with no plans.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING, HOW WILL YOU KNOW WHEN YOU GET THERE?
 Life is a journey, if you don’t take the time to set a  destination and plan on how to get there; you have no (Map), no goal and nothing to focus on. A sad state  of affairs. But there is hope. God  has a great  plan for you and if you ask Him and  spend some  time with Him, He will reveal it to you.
"For I know the plans i have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know" (Jeremiah 33:3)

YOU CAN NOT CHANGE WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN, BUT YOU CAN CHANGE WHERE YOU ARE GOING.

Below are 5 Tips in acrostic form to help you set and accomplish your GOALS for 2007 and beyond.
Take time to do this. Don’t rush yourself, find a quiet spot and ask God what plans He has for you. Think about   your goals and desires, not someone else’s. What you really want.

G - GET A VISION – "Write the vision and make it plain." (Habakkuk 2:2) What do you want? Write down your goals in detail, there’s power in writing things down, it sets the process in   motion. Remember a short pencil is better than a long memory. Try not to be vague about your goal, but be specific. E.g.  Instead of; A  new car - write; A Silver BMW X5. Or instead of; Loose weight - write; Loose 5 kgs by June 2007.

O - ORGANIZE YOURSELF. Pray and plan your work. "Trust in the Lord. In  all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
 How are you going to achieve your goal? A budget for your  financial Goals? Do you need a home trainer to help you loose weight? Maybe you need to learn something to qualify for that promotion or job? Think through this step.

A - ACT! Based  on your organization take action. "The Lord will send a  blessing... on everything you put your hand to." (Deutronomy 28:8 )
 What are you doing to achieve your goal? Work your Plan. As the Nike advert says Just-Do-It. Actually put your hands and legs to work. This important step separates the dreamers from the doers. Which one are you?

L – LEAVE NOTHING TO CHANCE. Learn all you need to achieve your goals. "A wise man will hear and will increase learning and attain wise counsel."  (Proverbs 1:5)
 What or who can help you achieve your goals? Get all the help available. Invest in your life, buy and read good books, Listen to Tapes, Attend Seminars, enroll in a class or a Workshop.

"He that walks with wise men shall be wise, But the companion of fools will be destroyed." (Proverbs 13:20)
 Stuck? Unsure about the  next step? Talk and listen to people who have been where you want to go. Spend time with like-minded positive people who believe in you, can encourage, challenge and help you along your journey.

S – STICK WITH IT! Stay focused. "Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we don’t lose heart."  (Galatians 6:9)
 Be stubborn about accomplishing your goals, and remember to reward yourself for every progress made. Don’t quit, you can do it! God believes in you and so do i, but you need to be your best cheerleader. When tempted to give up say to yourself;

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Philippians 4:13)

Copyright © January 02, 2007, N.G,  CEO Zoelifestyle

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:47:01 PM by Zoe »

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
Re: How To Set And Achieve Your Goals
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:53:18 PM »
Hi Zoe

Though personally a non-believer, as a writer and someone who works in development, I thought this was very good.  Simple sentences, clear messages and easy references (Biblical) that help illustrate the points clearly.

Carrie

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:32:04 AM »
Zoe,  this is a well written piece that has clarity and is concise.  As a technical writer, the only thing I can suggest is that you make the different headings clearer.  The article actually seems to fall into two sections; the first is the general exhortation section which ends after what appears to be a heading - "You can not change where you have been ... etc".

The second part starts with "Below are 5 tips.  It looks as though the heading belongs to the 5 tips but logically it doesn't.  The 'heading' seems to be more of a 'footer' to the exhortation section and the second part starting "Below are 5 tips..." is an instructional section.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING, HOW WILL YOU KNOW WHEN YOU GET THERE?
 Life is a journey, if you don’t take the time to set a destination and plan on how to get there; you have no (Map), no goal and nothing to focus on. A sad state  of affairs. But there is hope. God   has a great plan for you.
"For I know the plans i have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

This bit I found a little confusing.  On the one hand it seems to be encouraging us to plan and on the other it is using a quote which says it is the Lord who has the plans.  Should we be planning or finding out what the Lord's plans are?

Hope that helps, Zoe.  It's basically a well written article.
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Zoe

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:38:23 AM »
Hi,
your mail was helpful, amazing how another view can bring to attention something else. To your question about planning or finding out Gods will, I will use myself as an example, every end of the year i close my book shop from 24.12 for 2 weeks, besides the eating and spending time with loved ones, the last 3 days in the year are spend  looking  back on the past year and the goals i had set  reading  through old journal and daytimers, that way i assess all progress and failed projects (by the way, how much time do you have to read this, just realised it can take a while to explain) :D
The 2nd day of the new year i go to my "cave" i become a hermit cutting off all contact with the world, phone and all included.
Then i seek Gods plan for the New Year, i do this by spending alot of time reading my Bible, good books or just being quiet and sleeping alot too.

Often i dont have any particular agenda when i pray, i just let God know i am there to listen so i do little talking. When i talk i  try to stick to asking Him questions about all the areas in my life i need help and guidance. I write down all impressions, ideas and particular verses that seem to "jump" off the page. These are my answers and directions for the new year.

Once i know  i have "heard" from God concerning His plan for the New Year, i get out of my cave and get to action planning how to implement what i have "heard" and my own ideas too, i believe God gave us a mind and He expects us to use it creativley  :)

So there,  does my somewhat long example answer your question?
Some people know Gods plan for their live and they only need to plan the journey and fulfill it. Someothers like me have to watch wanting to get ahead of God and even suggesting to Him my own plans, i constantly have to check with my Maker- after all He made me and knows me better than i know myself and Has the  "Users Manuel" or "Instrustions" for my life.

Think i said a real mouthful :)
Zoe

Offline Jillanne Nehls

• Expert in Publishing
  • Expert in Publishing
    • Streamline Words
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »
Zoe,

Your article is really good. I'd only tweak some things here and there to make it look more professional.  I'd also have the sub topics have more meat to them.  It's obvious your passion for the subject matter and your expertise. Is your book based on this article?  I'd like to read the first few chapters of your book if you have written them.

I'm here to help you anytime. Just email me.

Smiles,
Jillanne - Moderator
Jillanne Nehls
Streamline Words
Refining the Writer ~ Representing
Authors to Agents & Publishers
Excellence in Ghostwriting
janehls@streamlinewords.com
www.streamlinewords.com

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »

Think i said a real mouthful :)
Zoe

No not at all.  So, in your section on setting goals say something like ...

Life is a journey, if you don’t have a destination and plan on how to get there; you have no (Map), no goal and nothing to focus on. A sad state  of affairs. But there is hope. God   has a great plan for you - you just need to spend time with him to find out what it is.

Just a thought.
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Offline Smiley

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:02:12 PM »
Hi Zoe,

I found your article very inspirational, very well written too.

I too would be interested in a book along the same lines.

Smiley x  :)
Smiles make the world a happier place, share yours with a stranger it could make their day.

Zoe

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:45:29 AM »
Hi everyone!

I have to watch out and make sure that i can carry my "Big" head around  and fit through my door posts  :D from all your encouraging posts. I have visions of my book signing day, ofcoarse all of you get a signed copy too  ;) Really your feedback is inspiring, and i do not underestimate your views.
Smiley, thank you for your kind words, as soon as "my babys" (my book) is out i will let you know.

Thanks alot everyone, and keep on writíng with justo, success is one step closer!

Meanwhile let me go back to the delivary room, apply my behind to the chair and get some writing done while i wait for customers to come in and buy someone elses books! see work in a book shop... (i,m a certified bookworm) Can hardly wait to see my own books on my bookshelves- sheer bliss!!!

Blessings & Best wishes.
Zoe