Author Topic: Have you set some goals?  (Read 1657 times)

Zoe

Have you set some goals?
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:01:41 PM »
Happy New Year everyone! 8)

i know its not so new anymore more, but i wish you all of you scribes a fruitful, productive new year.

My subject question is probably something we are all familiar with..... and i,m pursuing my goals with justo ;D
But my question is, what are the rules when researching and compling information for a non-fiction book.

I mean there is really nothing new under the sun... Specifically i have written a Faith based artikel on "How To Set And Achieve Your Goals" please check it out in the review Forum i would appreciate your feedback. The Artikel is the frame for my  book, HELP someone out there who know what i am talking about.

Thanks Zoe
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:47:39 PM by Zoe »

Offline fordy

• fordys web of words
Re: Have you set some goals?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:48:41 AM »
Hi Zoe,

I agree, it is very difficult when you are writing about something that has been covered before by other authors.  If you are trying to express an idea, it would be bad form to literally lift a sentence out of someone else's work and present it as your own.  If you want to express an idea in your own words and then use a quotation from another writer in support of that idea then it is usual to express that as a quotation and cite the reference either in a footnote or and endnote.  You may draw on other writers for inspiration, but it is your responsibility as a writer to come up with your own form of words to express that idea. 

The important thing here is to remember that writing non-fiction is not an academic exercise.  You should be attempting to achieve some goal.  In these self-improvement type books, the goal is usually to get the reader to take some action.  So, your contribution as writer is not to simply to express existing ideas, but to express them in such a way as encourage the reader to action - think of that as being your contribution to the exercise and focus on your unique way of communicating and you won't run into this trap.

Blessings,
David
If I always do what I always did, I'll always get what I always got.

Zoe

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 06:03:15 AM »
Hi David,

thank you for your helpful feedback, especially the point that self-help books are  intended to motivate the reader to take action, that really helps in getting focused about the end product which helps with the compiling. Cool :) I appreciate it.
Now i can get past this hurdle, a step nearer my book on Achieving And Setting Goals.

Blessings too.
Zoe

Offline orchid15

• Leona's Happy place
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
you are right, there isn't a lot new out there, and we writers are standing on the knowlege and research of other writers.

But not every book appeals to everyone, and some ideas aren't expressed fpr readers of today.  So even though the goal- to motivate the people to change, is the same, you are free to put your own little twist to it.  Are you using comedy to make your point?  Maybe you want to focus on the successes and mistakes of sport heros and how seting goals changed their life-- political figures or movie stars are also a possibility. Years ago Disney did a series of cartoons where Goofy didn't plan his goals wissely.

The principles of goal setting pretty much rmain the same, but by choosing entertaining examples, your book can be unique.

Orchid
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy