Author Topic: Erotic short stories  (Read 92088 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Erotic short stories
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:46:39 AM »
Samhain Publishing are currently inviting contributions for an anthology of summer-themed, erotic short stories. An extract from their guidelines is copied below. For more info, visit http://www.samhainpublishing.com/submissions .

Samhain Publishing is a royalties-paying e-publishing company.

Nick

Coming in Summer 2007, A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S STEAM, Samhain’s RED HOT summer-themed short stories.

What are the rules of these summer-themed short stories? They must be RED HOT erotic romances. Steamy. Sexy. HOT! We’re looking for M/F, M/M, M/F/M and any other multiple combinations thereof. They MUST be a romance—they have to have a happily ever after. And, they must take place in the summer. We want sun, sand, sex. (Well, not necessarily the sand—use your imagination!)

Any genre will do. If you want to write a futuristic space opera that takes place on a planet with five suns, go for it! Historical? That’ll work, too!

Only original, never-before-been published stories will be considered for A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S STEAM.

Authors may submit multiple stories to increase the chance of being chosen, HOWEVER, only one story per author (or author team) will be contracted for this project.

Submissions will be judged on their own merits, quality of story and originality (obviously if we get five books with similar storylines, we’re not going to publish every one).

Our current plan is to publish the stories separately in digital, over the course of several weeks, and then group them accordingly for print.

If you are interested in participating in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S STEAM, please submit the following:

* A completed story, 12-15k in length, following the above-listed theme requirements. Yes, for this project we’re requiring a full manuscript, since we’re not limiting the number of titles we contract.
    * A one-page synopsis.

Submissions are due by January 31, 2007.
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline jaz

• View Profile
Re: Erotic short stories
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:32:10 PM »
Hi Nick,

I am new to this forum, but I am happy to say I contributed to this submission after reading about it here.

It's my first complete novel, and the deadline on the submission date got me going seriously.

I have always been a fan of reading romance novels, whatever genre they may be, and the idea of writing my own story always interested me. I even started something else, but I guess because that was done on my own time, it was hard maintaining the discipline required to finish it. I do intend to complete it though.

I have received a reply from Samhain Publishing and will have to wait 8 to 12 weeks while they get down to reviewing my work.
Fingers crossed, they'll like it.

Thanks for the direction Nick.

Regards,
Happy writing,
Jaz
Ready Steady Write!

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »
Well done, Jaz! Do let us know if you are successful.

Nick

P.S. You might also find the following Erotic Stories Resources useful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:47:41 AM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline jaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

FYI - I received a reply from the publishers... they say they received a high volume of submissions and competition was fierce- unfortunately they haven't chosen my book - I was disappointed initially as I really put in a LOT of effort in getting this book done.
On the upside, this is my first attempt and I did manage to complete the book in about 4-5 days a record.. i think .. even for me!

So now I have, of course what I think is a quite entertaining short novel that needs to get out there...

Any suggestions as to what I should do next with it??

Your replies are welcome.

Regards
Jaz

Happy writing...
Ready Steady Write!

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:30:36 PM »
Logic suggests that you should put it on one side for a while now and look at it again later.

In the meantime I suggest a visit to the local library, where they will probably have a sizeable 'Romance' section and look for books of a broadly similar word count.  Many of these slimmer volumes will probably be the Barbara Cartland type where the reader is never invited past the bedroom door ;-)

Amongst them however you should find some under the imprint of 'Silhouette Desire'.  Whilst following the boy meets girl, misunderstanding, reconciliation, etc formula these are definitely more lively and uninhibited.  I have a feeling though that your short novel may be a bit too short for Silhouette.

But check them out and look for other publishers in the same area.  Once you have a list of names Google them to see what else you can find.  Most publishers have some sort of guidelines out there, either for download or available on request.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 05:34:45 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline jaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »
Thanks Gyppo,

I will take your words into consideration... You are right though about the book being shorter than what Silhouette wants...

I regularly read books published by them, and it just so happens that the first book that I have started but has somehow got left behind... dont know where to take my plot... i'm sure all writers will understand that..:) anyways this first book was written with publishers like them in mind...

The short book I wrote was in compliance to the requirements that Samhain wanted... so its about 12K..... I will do what you suggested and see who else publishes such books other than Silhouette..

If anyone knows of publishers who would accept books of this length do let me know... and this one does go into the bedroom.. was another requirement of Samhain...

Thanks once again.
Jaz
Happy writing

Ready Steady Write!