Author Topic: Call for submissions - EroticFables.com  (Read 3086 times)

Offline Kev-EroticFables

• View Profile
Call for submissions - EroticFables.com
« on: July 23, 2006, 02:13:36 PM »
We've just started a new erotic writing website, www.EroticFables.com, and are looking for submissions from erotica writers. We pay for published stories, and persons who have multiple stories published at our site will be remunerated at a higher level. We also are running a contest for our Top Authors - best story published this year wins $250.00!

Check out the Author pages at our website for more information.

Sincerely,
Kev

Divine Hand

Re: Call for submissions - EroticFables.com
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:54:36 AM »
Are you kidding, how can I apply, because erotic stories are what I can do best. So hit me back

Offline Kev-EroticFables

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 03:36:52 PM »
Great to hear your interest!!

Go to www.EroticFables.com, and then check out our Author pages. All the info you need is there, but if you have any more questions, you can send an email using the link at the site.

Thanks - hope to see some of your writing soon!

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • View Profile
    • My blog pages
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »
Kev

Do please introduce yourself on the welcome board.   

Cheers
Carrie
www.ukfolkie.blogspot.com
www.myspace.com/carolynsheppard
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yiTf1zjnxQc
www.thecompletetrainer.com

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:53:58 PM »
Hi Folks,

I thought of whacking this straight onto the boards - but, bearing in mind the younger members, felt I should run it past Nick first.  He was happy enough to see it here.  Also, despite the overall tone of what follows I don't want to discourage *anyone* from writing *anything* if they think it's a good idea.  Having also worked as a Writing Tutor for the WEA I know just how easy it can be to bruise a shy and slowly emerging talent.  Not all of us are sturdy weeds, some are fragile orchids ;-).  And, in this spirit of fairness, if 'Kev' can make a go of his Erotic publishing venture I genuinely wish him wel.

================

Call for Submissions - EroticFables http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=3340.0 This new erotic writing website is inviting contributions. They pay for published stories, and say that writers who have multiple stories published will be remunerated at a higher level.

================

There's payment, and there's token payment ;-( $2/1 for All Rights most defintely isn't alright ;-) I know some people are happy to write for nothing, and to be honest I'd rather do that than write for even less than peanuts.  Three thousand words to buy a loaf of bread?  Not for this humble scribe, and that's not just sour grapes from someone who 'wouldn't want to write that kind of stuff'.

It's been a long time since I wrote any top-shelf erotica.  Probably in the late 80s/early 90s.  My pulse quickened a little at the thought of making some money by putting on one of my more mercenary 'hats' for a while.  Whilst I realise that all business ventures have to make a profit the rates offered by 'Erotic Fables' are mind-numbingly low.  I even checked my calendar in case I'd somehow Rip Van Winkled my way though to April 1st without noticing ;-)

I used to earn as much for one 3000 word tale (about three hours work on a good day) as they are offering for their 'author of the year'.  Starting at $2 and offering a 'substantial increase' for regular contributors is a bit like whacking someone with a stout cudgel but promising to only hit them with a lighter cane after the first half hour, and maybe even a limp lettuce leaf if they lived long enough ;-).

Back in the 80s even Gold Star Publishing - definitely the cheaper end of the market but with several print magazines to feed - were paying 20 per thousand words and buying in blocks of two thousand. At the higher end the magazine 'Erotic Stories' magazine paid 125 for three thousand word tales, (and they always sent a free copy as well so your neighbours didn't see you buying a 'dirty mag'), but they did fold after a while so perhaps the market wasn't truly sustainable.

Maybe I'm just a crabby old git hankering for the days before camcorders made it possible for anyone to become a 'Blocked producer' and people would still read instead of just drooling over pictures.

Or maybe it's just that although writing is still a rather magical business to me I really do believe 'the labourer is worthy of his hire'.

On the plus side I learned a lot from regularly writing for Gold Star.  I learned to write to order and could get within fifty words either way on the first draft. Using a manual typewriter back then I sometimes didn't even bother with a second draft.  In many ways it was quite pedestrian stuff - despite the subject matter - but it fitted the editorial template and it sold.  When my baby daughter needed new shoes or a coat I'd uncover the typewriter and pay for them.  A subtle bonus here was that the rythmic clicking of the keys sent her to sleep within about fifteen minutes.

For the higher paying markets there was more characterisation and a proper plot.  Some characters even migrated to other non-erotic fiction.

The downside of writing too much erotica - and you need to write an awful lot at the lower rates - is that you get stuck in a mental groove.  Unless it pays really well you need to break away occasionally and do other types of writing before your mind atrophies.

Sorry if I've run on a bit, but this 'opportunity' really struck a raw nerve.

Gyppo

PS:  If any of you have an old copy of 'Erotic Stories' hanging around somewhere you won't find 'Gyppo' as a byline ;-)  This was truly mercenary writing hidden under another 'nom de plume'.

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1