Author Topic: What is the best way to find a publisher?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Aly

What is the best way to find a publisher?
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:05:47 PM »
I am looking for a publisher who would be interested in receiving a synopsis of my planned book about my "90 homes in 31 years."

As there are hundreds of publishers, I just don't know where to start.

Any help would be most appreciated.  Thank you, Aly.

Offline Caroline

Re: What is the best way to find a publisher?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 08:45:36 AM »
Hi Aly
Yes, there are hundreds of publishers...although lots of them won't publish the kind of book you're planning to write.
I know it probably sounds very basic, but one of the first things I'd do is head for the largest book shop near me and just see what's on the shelves, making a note of any that seem to publish the kind of material you're aiming to produce.  This should save you a lot of time in the long run as, when you do get around to sending your synopsis to people, you will be targetting a potentially interested publisher (fingers crossed!)
Oh, and of course publishers' websites and various publications (eg The Writers and Artists Handbook) will also provide information about who produces what kind of material.
Good luck!
Caroline

Offline Bob B.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:17:20 AM »
    There are two invaluable guide books to north American publisher.  "The Writers Market" is published annually by the publishers of Writers' Digest Magazine, and "The Literary Markey Place," also published annually is an even more valuable source.  The Writers' Market can be picked up in almost any good book store.  The Literary Market Place is an expensive proposition, but most library will have it.

Lin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 04:48:46 AM »
I know its very much a "dog in a forest" situation but I like the sound of the book and hope I can read it soon.   Do you want to try the Agent route first?  Or would you prefer to approach direct to a publisher?

Lin