Author Topic: need help with my query letter and synopsis  (Read 190 times)

Offline iwannabeone

• Kenneth Joel Teicher Books
need help with my query letter and synopsis
« on: April 06, 2022, 01:17:20 PM »
I would love to receive comments on my query letter and synopsis below. Thanks in advance.

Dear Miss :

More than thirty years ago, I discovered the satisfaction of writing novels. I also developed a passion for archaeology and managed to couple these two loves. Over the year I have visited countless sites around the world. One of these trips included Israel, Egypt, and Greece, all locations involved in THE ALKANO LETTERS, the first of an action/adventure series (currently four books), for which I am seeking an agent. The manuscript is approximately 90,000 words.

I would greatly appreciate your review of my synopsis and the manuscript attached and hope you will be positively impressed with my work. I hope to ultimately have all the books in this series published and perhaps some of my work in science fiction, my other love.

I must tell you that, after some failed attempts to find an agent or publisher, I self-published my work and have received many very favorable reviews. All of my work is copyrighted. If you have any interest in representing my work I will, of course, take any action you require concerning my self-published books.

Thank you for your time and consideration of my work.

Sincerely,

Synopsis

THE ALKANO LETTERS is a story of intrigue, conspiracy, and romance. The action begins on the Greek island of Alkano, moves to Cairo's Giza Plateau, and culminates in the ancient cities of Megiddo, Qumran, and finally Jerusalem.

Retired Major Craig Johnson, working as a mercenary, accepts a position to lead a team charged with protecting a group of archaeologists who have discovered 24 ancient letters in scattered locations across the Middle East and Greece. These letters, written during the time of Jesus, have enormous historical implications for the Christian world. A secret religious sect intercepts e-mails between the archaeologists and their sponsor. The sect initially does little more than observe the archaeologists, but their activity escalates to abductions and armed attacks.

The team, including a group of graduate students, is led by world-renowned archaeologist Herbert Langford and his granddaughter, Erin Mathews. His untimely death, due to a fatal heart attack, forces Erin, a famous archaeologist in her own right, to take charge of the research. A journey to Egypt and Israel, where some of the letters were discovered by Langford, becomes critical to the investigation of the origin and meaning of the documents.

Craig travels with Erin as she attempts to unravel the mystery. During the trip, the sect becomes increasingly vicious in its effort to terminate Erinís research. The data she collects reveals the origin of the letters, leading to a lively debate between her and the students. They develop wild speculations about what the letters represent.

During their travels, Erin and Craig become romantically involved. Both have recently gone through difficult divorces and have forsworn new relations. Despite their determination to maintain a professional relationship, they find themselves drawn together in a passionate liaison. What began for Craig as a straightforward task has become a complicated mission. He and his team must protect the group of archaeologists from escalating armed attacks while he resists the urge to simply carry Erin away to safety.

The story concludes with the identity of the unnamed sponsor revealed and the astonishing resolution of the mystery of the letters, written between Jesus and members of his family.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 10:38:20 PM by iwannabeone »

Offline Clarius

Re: need help with my query letter and synopsis
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 04:27:57 PM »
Sounds like something I'd like to read. And given how boringly ordinary and vanilla flavoured I am, I'm guessing you've got a fair sized target audience right there. Luck with that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 04:52:12 PM by Clarius »
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns

Offline iwannabeone

• Kenneth Joel Teicher Books
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 05:24:30 PM »
Sounds like something I'd like to read. And given how boringly ordinary and vanilla flavoured I am, I'm guessing you've got a fair sized target audience right there. Luck with that.

Thanks for the positive response. If you like, I can send you a copy. Just send me a message with your email.

Offline Clarius

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 04:40:33 AM »
A blurb and a synopsis are very different. A blurb is written to entice your reader. A synopsis is written for an agent or publisher. It's purpose is to leave them in no doubt your book is worth their time. It's essentially a narrative summary. Its your pitch. Every twist, turn, and reveal has to be spelt out. You can't hold anything back. As intriguing as you may make your synopsis they don't have time to read it in the hope the payoff is worth their time. IMHO your last sentence is more blurb than synopsis. They don't want to be teased, they want to be informed. Luck.
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns

Offline OddlyKnight

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 03:30:36 PM »
As Clarius pointed out the synopsis needs to give a complete narrative summary. I actually just watched a youtube video on this today and will be trying one out in the future. Here is a link to a very useful article.

http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2012/04/17/how-to-write-a-1-page-synopsis/

I hope it helps