Author Topic: will an agent accept work that has been self-published?  (Read 166 times)

Offline iwannabeone

• Kenneth Joel Teicher Books
will an agent accept work that has been self-published?
« on: March 13, 2022, 04:01:49 PM »
I've been writing for a very long time. I initially attempted to find an agent. After many failed attempts, I self-published all of my works. I'd like to try again but, am concerned that an agent won't even look at my work now. If I'm upfront in my query letters and state that I will, of course, remove my self-published work before any attempt is made to find a publisher, do I have any chance of finding an agent willing to work with me? The problem is that even if I remove my self-published work, a Google search may still reveal my work. Any suggestions? 

Offline Donnettetxgirl

• Romance author Donnette Smith
Re: will an agent accept work that has been self-published?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 11:02:56 PM »
I honestly don't think it matters. When an agent finds someone's work they're interested in, they get excited. They're not going to turn you down simply because you self-published some of your work. I would not mention that you'll remove your self-published work before publication. You're not shopping around works you've already self-pubbed, are you? If not, I really wouldn't worry about it. 

Offline iwannabeone

• Kenneth Joel Teicher Books
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 11:09:02 PM »
Yes, as I said, I've self-published all of my work. I'm attempting to find an agent for the first of a so far four book action/adventure series.

Offline Clarius

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 05:18:40 AM »
In this day and age I would have thought a ready made writer fetching up on the doorstep would at the very least have a foot in the door. But why do you think you need these middle people? To promote your work? Get you a publishing deal? Writing is just part of the job, promoting it is the other big part. How have you self published: vanity publishing, Kindle e-book? A lot of books get self published every year. Maybe you need to get out there and push it a bit harder. Everywhere and anywhere. Like, for example, putting a link to your Kindle page at the bottom of every forum post. If you had such a link I'd click it, do the look inside, and maybe buy it and review it. Have done in the past for others. If the mountain won't come to you then you have to go to the mountain. Luck.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:20:55 AM by Clarius »
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us

- Robert Burns

Offline Donnettetxgirl

• Romance author Donnette Smith
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 09:43:03 AM »
Yes, as I said, I've self-published all of my work. I'm attempting to find an agent for the first of a so far four book action/adventure series.

I've done a little research, and according to what I've found on the internet, it appears most agents wouldn't be interested in self-pubbed works unless, of course, you've had significant sales. My instincts would have said the same.

Why not start another series, complete the first book, and shop it around? That's exactly what I would do if I was interested in getting picked up by an agent.

If you want new publishing opportunities, I really think your best bet is to move on from the series you've already published. That's my two cents anyhow. For what it's worth.