Author Topic: Hello  (Read 103 times)

Offline Enoch

Hello
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Enoch. I am joining the forum to test out my writing skills and see if I'm any good. I plan on writing short stories. Writing a screenplay also interests me, but I see no point trying that if can't get short stories down. I like fiction and think I am okay with words, but I'm not that creative or good at writing interesting characters or setting. I hope joining this forum can help me improve, or maybe I'll find out writing is not my thing and move on to something else. Either way, I look forward to being a new member.

Offline Nether

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 07:16:04 PM »
This forum is basically dead because the mods let it get taken over by spammers, so not the best place to showcase anything.

That said, you're probably thinking about it the wrong way. It's not a matter of "seeing if you're any good" (although that's a fine starting point), it's about making a commitment to work at it until you're good. No matter where you're starting out, you should see improvement as you go along. Whether or not writing is "your thing" depends entirely on your commitment and passion -- and, honestly, if you maintain the commitment, you might find some passion.

Otherwise screenplays and short stories are completely different beasts. If you want to learn screenplays, just do that. There's no reason to test the water with short stories. Instead focus on writing shorter screenplays.

And if it's something you want to do professionally, you're going to have to get to used to a lot of rejection. It's not a business for the easily discouraged. Even huge names like Stephen King got countless rejections before starting to get traction.

Offline Enoch

Re: Hello
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 12:49:05 AM »
This forum is basically dead because the mods let it get taken over by spammers, so not the best place to showcase anything.

That said, you're probably thinking about it the wrong way. It's not a matter of "seeing if you're any good" (although that's a fine starting point), it's about making a commitment to work at it until you're good. No matter where you're starting out, you should see improvement as you go along. Whether or not writing is "your thing" depends entirely on your commitment and passion -- and, honestly, if you maintain the commitment, you might find some passion.

Otherwise screenplays and short stories are completely different beasts. If you want to learn screenplays, just do that. There's no reason to test the water with short stories. Instead focus on writing shorter screenplays.

And if it's something you want to do professionally, you're going to have to get to used to a lot of rejection. It's not a business for the easily discouraged. Even huge names like Stephen King got countless rejections before starting to get traction.

Hey Nether, thanks for your response. Your points make a lot of sense.

I thought creative writing was in innate skill, and if my stories weren't good that meant it wasn't my thing. After reading your post and thinking about it, I realize that even gifted writers would have to put in time and effort to get results and I could always improve. I guess its a matter of whether or not I want to make writing my thing.

Thanks again for idea of writing shorter screenplays.