Author Topic: New Member with a Weird Pen Name  (Read 131 times)

Offline Cordia Meeghan

New Member with a Weird Pen Name
« on: August 23, 2021, 05:19:15 AM »
Hi! My pen name is Cordia Meeghan (just calling me Cordia is fine; I made up this weird pen name myself), and I am a Christian girl. Most of my writing is academic; I rarely write anything else other than the essays needed for my English class. I tend to be terribly bad at creative writing, and I usually donít have time for it as well. I tried writing a novel on NaNoWriMo last November but was only 10,000 words into it. Plus, it was in all ways so bad that if I should get back to it, I would have to delete everything and try again. On the other hand, I love science and would always choose scientific themes for my essays if I can. My hobbies include foreign languages and music.

Since Iím a Christian, many of my essays will reflect my belief (Creation, the reality of God, salvation, and so forth).

Topics that I can help with: Not many, but I can at least check grammar, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc.

Topics that I need help with: First and foremost, wordiness! That is, I often exceed my word limits. If the teacher wants 800 words, I might go to 1,000 or more. Sometimes that results from pure wordiness (that is, I donít express myself concisely enough), but other times it is the result of my wanting to add too much information. Other issues are not as pronounced, but sometimes I might also struggle with clarity in explanations (because I struggle with clearly explaining things verbally).

Offline BetaReaderandWriter

Re: New Member with a Weird Pen Name
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 04:20:16 AM »
Iíve also suffered from wordiness when I was in hs. Lol. Itís an all over mix of saying something and saying SOMETHING. If that makes sense lol

Offline Nether

Re: New Member with a Weird Pen Name
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »
Crazy question -- but are you trying to be better at "creative writing"? Is fiction something that actually interests you?

I ask before I was confused by your mention of a pen name when you're just talking about essays for school. And is this for k-12? Your bachelors? A graduate-level program?