Author Topic: How can you tell if they're VPs?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Symphony

• View Profile
    • Put the kettle on
How can you tell if they're VPs?
« on: February 25, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »
Are there key things to look out for in their advertising that can warn you that you might be getting tied up with vanity publishers or self-publishers? I sent a manuscript recently to a publishers who gave no inkling in their advertising blurb that they were vanity publishers. In fact, on their website they state they are NOT either vanity publishers or self-publishers - and yet the author has to pay for everything. This really annoyed me. So what are they, then? And are there key expressions or words to look out for when trawling the publishing companies so that I can avoid these in future - or is this just all part of the game?

Thanks for any advice on this,

Symphony
Just Tell the Truth - www.audiostoriesforkids.com
The Magic Show - www.audiostoriesforkids.com

Blog:  http://www.putthekettleon.org

SuzieHarris

Re: How can you tell if they're VPs?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 11:27:07 AM »
Hey Symph,

Is the the publishers of Miligan Shrinkimp? I didn't see anything on that website either!

If not, which one do you mean?

I thought they had to tell you up-front that they charged for services, but maybe I'm thinking UK law here.

Suzie

Offline orchid15

• View Profile
    • Leona's Happy place
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »
If a publisher tells me they are not a vanity press, I begin to worry.

I always do a Google search before I send out a manuscript.  I list the name of the publisher and another keyword like fraud or problems.

I researched the nature of the problems carefully.  Not all the vanity publishers are a problem.  I read the catalog and see how many books they have actually published.  I have a problem, if they have ten testimonials, but only two books in the catalog.

It's mainly a case of author beware.  A lot of people out there want to take our money and don't want to give us anything for it.

Orchid15
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't havto get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon." Robert Cormier

website: www.leonashappyplace.com    newsletter:Leonas BrainCandy

Offline Symphony

• View Profile
    • Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 06:06:46 AM »
Hi Suzie,

No, it's not Milligan. The publishers are mjspub.com. I've done a bit of digging and read their website properly now. It seems that you pay up front for your book production but they will do the marketing and it's not always POD - and they reimburse you a proportion of the publishing costs, so I suppose they fall halfway between VPs and publishers.

Hard to tell, isn't it?

Thanks for your help - and Orchid, too.

Symphony
Just Tell the Truth - www.audiostoriesforkids.com
The Magic Show - www.audiostoriesforkids.com

Blog:  http://www.putthekettleon.org

Offline KarinaB

• View Profile
    • People Search
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 09:53:46 AM »
This was my experience of POD, if it helps.
In 2004 I paid a company who offered self-publishing to put together a 12,000 booklet for my business.
I was charged around 900 for layout, design, cover and print plus 200 copies. They also sell direct via their printers.
To date they have sold less than 200 copies and I still have almost 100 copies left - I gave away at least 50 during the post-publication marketing.
I had very high hopes because I thought that the subject matter was unique and that there was a demand. I had a couple of good reviews but have made a loss.
I would never self publish again - I just do not have the time or resources to market books strongly enough.
I recently had the whole thing converted to an e-book and sell it via my web site - see http://www.people-search.co.uk/publications.html
Between us the e-book publisher and I have sold around 30 copies, but at least on this occasion I did not have to pay anything.
The idea of e-books may be a good one but I think it will be a very long time before this media takes off.