Author Topic: Any Doctors or other Medical Experts on the Forum Please?  (Read 2015 times)

Writewayze

Any Doctors or other Medical Experts on the Forum Please?
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:03:16 AM »
Hi there,

I just want to know if scar tissue would bruise after a blow.

I believe scars  have reduced resistance to Ultra-violet radiation, so does it get affected by the Sun? I seem to remember a guy I knew, when I was in the Mediterranean. He had a livid scar on his arm that never went brown from the Sun; or is my memory faulty?

Thanks in Anticipation.

John  :)

twisted wheel

Re: Any Doctors or other Medical Experts on the Forum Please?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:13:19 AM »
dedelite is the person you want to speak to.

Offline sonofdenis

• I'm an experienced beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
Hi there ... i'm an ITU nurse with a background in surgery, so have good experience with wounds, scars and skin viability.

To answer i'll need a bit more info - where is the scar tissue?  How old is it?  How big is it?

If you're talking newish scar tissue it is likely to become red and imflamed following a blow.  It would then probably become infected and break down.  If it is old scar tissue then it probably wouldn't bruise.  Not many vessles, just fatty adipose tissue.  If you're talking extremity then it wouldn't do a lot of harm (unless new) ... if you're talking abdomen then any blow is more likely to injure the reason for the scar in the first place IE surgery or trauma.

Hope this helps...

Writewayze

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »
Hi there ... i'm an ITU nurse with a background in surgery, so have good experience with wounds, scars and skin viability.

To answer i'll need a bit more info - where is the scar tissue?  How old is it?  How big is it?

If you're talking newish scar tissue it is likely to become red and imflamed following a blow.  It would then probably become infected and break down.  If it is old scar tissue then it probably wouldn't bruise.  Not many vessles, just fatty adipose tissue.  If you're talking extremity then it wouldn't do a lot of harm (unless new) ... if you're talking abdomen then any blow is more likely to injure the reason for the scar in the first place IE surgery or trauma.

Hope this helps...

Many thanks for the replies.

Yes this does help thanks.  :)

The scar would be a facial scar and would be about 20 years old. So, as I thought it probably wouldn't bruise, although I appreciate it could be reopened. It's not an important point; just a character mark for a protagonist. It could justr as easily be dispensed with, but an ex Marine would have scars I think! I just wanted to be right on this matter. So thanks again. The scar will stay!

Cheers and...

Stay Lucky
John

Offline sonofdenis

• I'm an experienced beginner
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
Facial scar ... hmm.  Not my area of expertise.  They're usually quite small and superficial so I suppose you'd probably get some odd colouration, swelling and reddness rather than a bruise.  More likely to open up again, TBH.  Again, dependant on speed of blow and prior trauma.  I'd be more worried about what was happening under the scar ... if it's around the eye then the orbit bone will be more layered, so may damage the eye or cause more facial swelling.  if it is on the cheek then again you'd probably open up the scar again.

Good luck with it!

Writewayze

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »
Thanks again S of Denis.

I'll say it is along the jawline. Can't get too involved with having it opened up, although it might be a good 'weakness', for the 'hero'!  ;D

I am most obliged.

Cheers.

John  :)

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
By way of observation, Denis is right on the money.

The old scar tissue won't discolor, but it will be highlighted and defined by the bruising around it. Dede will probably be along to confirm this. It's great we have so much expertise on this site. :)
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline RandomAmber

• Loneliness is about the scariest thing out there.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
I'm not a med but I'll tell you what I know personally, a facial scar will open up if hit hard enough and old scars usually tend to show up as white in certain lighting. so for eample you'll see a white line from a knife but then it depnds on a lot of other things I have no knowledge of.
Hope this helps. 

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »
I have a scar on my leg - very close to the shin bone - from when it was ripped open by barbed wire.  About 45 years after the event it is still a shallow white furrow, and looks almost shiny if my legs get browned by the sun.  It's not been a problem for many years, but in the early years after the event it tended to reopen if knocked.  Pretty stable after all this time though.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Mafalda511

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
Hi John,
I am not a doctor but I work with a team of heart surgeons, so I hear a lot about scars.
There is a lot of vascularity in the scar tissue to begin with, and yes, it is new skin, so if you expose it to the sun at least for the first 12 months, it will burn and swell, even using protection.
I have a scar on my arm and it is lighter than the rest of my skin.  I hope this helps  ;)

Offline elizeo

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
If you want any type of knowledge about stuff like Marijuana gummies or any type of CBD product then I am the guy. I am in this business fir quite a long time and could give you the correct perception that you want. Many doctors will promote this and some will not because these companies pay them to do so.