Author Topic: Archaeology Adventure story idea  (Read 292 times)

Offline Ariel Artemis

• You're only limited by your imagination
Archaeology Adventure story idea
« on: March 01, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »
As an graduate Archaeologist and fan of both Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones, I came up with a story idea. Haven't quite worked out all the details yet but here is what I have so far.

My OC, Sophia West is the daughter of famous Archaeologists/Adventurers: Drs Moira and Alexander West. Unlike her mother and father, Sophia doesn't want to follow in their footsteps regardless of the fact that she's a graduate with a degree in either Archaeology or some history topic (maybe ancient?)

One day she receives a package from her dad, a mystery puzzle box. Once she solves it, Sophia will discover a 'key' inside which leads her to go off on her own adventure. It'll take her to the same island that her parents are currently working on.

There will be a few twists, though like I said earlier, I haven't worked out the full details.

Wondering whether to have the Island near Greece as to draw on Greek gods/goddesses and their mythology.

Any and all opinions are welcome.  :)

Offline JTetstone

• Jan Tetstone a/k/a Janice Sanford/nosuchmember
    • Blindsided
Re: Archaeology Adventure story idea
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »
Ariel, I found this site about Greek Gods and Goddesses. You may be able to find some more ideas there. Best of luck writing your story. 

TheDei Consentes
In Ancient Greek mythology, twelve gods and goddesses ruled the universe from atop Greece's Mount Olympus. Our main sources on the gods include Hesiod's Theogony and the Homeric Hymns (although they probably aren't by the Homer who wrote the Odyssey).

These Olympians had come to power after their leader, Zeus, overthrew his father,Kronos(or Cronus), leader of the Titans. All the Olympians are related to one another. The Romans adopted most of these Greek gods and goddesses, but with new names. There were many more deities in the Roman and Greek pantheons. We've included some of the more prominent deities below, in addition to the main Olympians. You can find a more complete list of Greco-Roman deities here.

Zeus (Roman name: Jupiter)
The most powerful of all, Zeus was god of the sky and the king of Olympus. His temper affected the weather, and he threw thunderbolts when he was unhappy. He was married to Hera but had many other lovers. His symbols include the oak and the thunderbolt.

See also: The Reign of Thunder and Lightning: Olympus Under Zeus.

Hera (Roman name: Juno)
Hera was goddess of marriage and the queen of Olympus. She was Zeus's wife and sister; many myths tell of how she sought revenge when Zeus betrayed her with his lovers. Her symbols include the peacock and the cow. ...

This isn't an official designation, but it's a handy catchall. These are the children of the Twelve Olympians, either by each other, by lesser deities, or by mortal women.

These include Pan (son of Hermes and a nymph), Asclepius (son of Apollo), Aeolus (son of Poseidon), Hebe (daughter of Zeus and Hera) and Heracles/Hercules (son of Zeus and a mortal woman). Fun fact, in Classical literature, the term demi-god was basically unknown. Instead hero and half-god were largely interchangeable. And, as in the case of Heracles, a hero could be elevated to full godhood.

The Titans
Greco-Roman mythology is replete with gods aside from the main bunch. The Romans had hundreds. There are lesser deities the Muses of Mount Parnassus, who inspire artists.

The most important are the Titans, who were the gods before the Olympians. The Titans are the children of Gaia, the earth, and Uranus, the sky. Like the Olympians, they consisted of a main twelve. They are Oceanus, Coeus, Crius, Cronus, Iapetus, and Hyperion, Theia, Rhea, Themis, Tethys, Mnemosyne, and Phoebe.

All of the main Olympians are the children and grandchildren of Cronus. The other Titans also had divine children, including the titans/gods Helios, Atlas, Amphitrite and Prometheus.

Many of the Titans were condemned to punishment in Tartarus, although some escaped this fate. Helios, for example, maintains a divine role in pulling the sun across the sky, and Amphitrite is the wife of Poseidon.

Other gods
Then there are the other types of gods. There are:

Primordial deities, who predate the Titans. These include Nyx, the personification of night, and the primordial Chaos.

There are the Chthonic deities who live underground beyond the River Styx. These include (sometimes) Hades/Pluto and Hecate, the goddess of witchcraft.

And there are personified concepts, such as Nemesis (vengeance), Eros/Cupid (lust), and Nike (victory).

Greek and Roman Mythology Mythology : Gods, Goddesses, Muses, MonstersHeroes in Greek Mythology

https://www.infoplease.com/culture-entertainment/mythology-folklore/olympian-gods-and-goddesses
I was born and raised wearing hand me down shoes and clothes-but I was richer by far than those who thought themselves 'my betters.'  I'd take love over riches and fame any day.

Offline Ariel Artemis

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »
That's really helpful, thank you! It's sparking off some ideas.

Offline JTetstone

• Blindsided
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 03:56:44 PM »
That's really helpful, thank you! It's sparking off some ideas.

You welcome. Anytime, you need a subject researched that will help you along with your writing, let me know. I 'm here to help new writers .  :)  jt
I was born and raised wearing hand me down shoes and clothes-but I was richer by far than those who thought themselves 'my betters.'  I'd take love over riches and fame any day.

Offline Ariel Artemis

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
I'll definitely be taking you up on that 

Offline Ariel Artemis

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »
In researching for a story, would you recommend getting books on the subject in question?

Offline JTetstone

• Blindsided
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »
In researching for a story, would you recommend getting books on the subject in question?

Stories woven from ancient myths:
James Joyce - Ulysses and Finnegans Wake
T S Eliot - The Wasteland
Eugene O Neill - Mourning becomes Electra

Offline Ariel Artemis

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Goddess Hecate.

Kinda got an idea on possibly including a labyrinth of sorts based on her wheel symbol since it looks very maze like.

Offline JTetstone

• Blindsided
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 05:35:39 PM »
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Goddess Hecate.

Kinda got an idea on possibly including a labyrinth of sorts based on her wheel symbol since it looks very maze like.

You welcome.   I like your choice..From three different internet sites:
Hecate is the Greek goddess of the Mist, magic, witchcraft, sorcery, crossroads, necromancy, night and the moon. She is the daughter of Asteria and Perses.

1. Hecate, goddess accepted at an early date into Greek religion but probably derived from the Carians in southwest Asia Minor. In Hesiod she is the daughter of the Titan Perses and the nymph Asteria and has power over heaven, earth, and sea; hence, she bestows wealth and all the blessings of daily life.

2. Hecate was a goddess in Greek mythology, considered to be the goddess of magic and witchcraft. She was often depicted holding two torches or a key. She was the daughter of the Titans Perses and Asteria, and she was honoured in the households as a protective goddess who brought prosperity.

3. Hecate was a chthonic goddess that preceded the Olympians, and it seems that she was highly worshipped in Thrace. She was also closely associated to the spiritual world, ghosts, and the dead. A shrine to Hecate was placed at the entrances of homes or even cities, hoping to protect them from the evil spirits that roamed the world. She also helped goddess Demeter in her search for her daughter Persephone, when the latter was abducted by Hades, god of the underworld; after it was decided that Persephone would spend a third of a year in the underworld and the rest on earth, Hecate became Persephone's companion to and from the underworld each year.

In art, she was initially depicted as being a single figure. However, in later periods, statues depicted her as three-fold, having three faces and three bodies united.

Best of luck with your story, Ariel. :)

Offline Ariel Artemis

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 05:39:02 PM »
Thank you, I'm just glad that I have got more of an idea on where the story is going.

As always, I appreciate the help  :)

Offline Skald--of--jorvik

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 01:03:22 PM »
I really like this concept, I think its got lots of potential. Looking forward to seeing some updates.

I think using Greek mythology in your work is a great idea, such a fascinating wealth of stories and legends at your disposal. I was wondering, will it include fantasy elements within your work?

-Skald
The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only its as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues- Terry Pratchett

Offline Ariel Artemis

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 07:26:09 AM »
Thanks. There might be some fantasy elements but I haven't decided yet.