Author Topic: What are "determiners"  (Read 120 times)

Offline JTetstone

• Jan Tetstone a/k/s Janice Sanford/nosuchmember
    • The Spirit Within Poetry
What are "determiners"
« on: December 31, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »
A determiner is a modifier of a noun that provides more information about the noun, such as how much or by whom

Determiners: words placed in front of a noun to make it clear what the noun refers to.

Determiners
1. Definite article : the

2. Indefinite articles : a, an :The indefinite article is the word "a" or "an." It is used before a noun to define it as something non-specific (e.g., something generic or something mentioned for the first time). I'm a pirate.

3. Demonstratives: this, that, these, those: There are four demonstratives in English: the "near" demonstratives this and these, and the "far" demonstratives that and those. This and that are singular; these and those are plural. A demonstrative pronoun distinguishes its antecedent from similar things.Examples of demonstrative in a Sentence
Adjective In the phrase “this is my hat,” the word “this” is a demonstrative pronoun. In the phrase “give me that book,” the word “that” is a demonstrative adjective.
Pronouns and possessive determiners : my, your, his, her, its, our, their

4. Quantifiers : a few, a little, much, many, a lot of, most, some, any, enough
Numbers : one, ten, thirty
A quantifier is a word that usually goes before a noun to express the quantity of the object; for example, a little milk. There are quantifiers to describe large quantities (a lot, much, many), small quantities (a little, a bit, a few) and undefined quantities (some, any)

5. Distributives : all, both, half, either, neither, each, every
Distributive determiners refer to a group of people or things, and to individual members of the group. They show different ways of looking at the individuals within a group, and they express how something is distributed, shared, or divided.

6. Difference words : other, another

7. Pre-determiners : such, what, rather, quite

Best of Luck with your writing.
jt
Never let another set the value of your self-worth. Strive to be the best of who you are.  Believing in your self is the key to reaching your dream. love and peace,  jt