Author Topic: Young children's books  (Read 181 times)

Offline coralmia

Young children's books
« on: December 21, 2020, 06:36:07 AM »
Hi Everyone. Do hope you are all keeping well during these awful times. While stuck at home I've dug out the draft of a young children's book that I started a while ago. I think it's good. It's current and relatable to young children and their parents and is approx 600 words. It will require fun illustrations which I cannot do although I do know a suitable illustrator.

What I am asking you good people is this: " How do I know if it's good enough to submit without putting it out there and risk someone else copying the idea."

Also is it better to use a literary agent or submit directly to a publisher?

I would be most grateful for any comments. Thank you

Offline RJNPB

Re: Young children's books
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 01:09:57 PM »
I know this is a few months old, but don't worry about someone copying your idea. First off, there is no original ideas, at one point or another, every idea has been copied, and re-copied, so on and so fourth. Second, everyone has their own style and even if they copy, it won't be the same as yours. Thus the outcome and story telling will be different. Now if you're worried about someone stealing your work, which if different from copying an idea. Again you shouldn't worry. I don't know where you're from, but in Canada and in the U.S. Once something has been written it's automatically protected by copyright law.

Now in regards to submitting, you'll need an agent. You won't be able to contact most publishers on your own.