Author Topic: Should I write these scenes?  (Read 80 times)

Offline Andrew0074

Should I write these scenes?
« on: July 27, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
More importantly, would you read them?
เว็บคาสิโนออนไลน์ UFA800
A little detail... I am writing a science fiction novel. It's not hard sci fi - there is very little techinical description, and it is character-driven. I'm not even sure if most people would class it as sci fi, or as another genre that just happens to be set in space. For arguments' sake, let's call it space opera.

Okay, that's established. Now to the point -- I have this character who enters the story in rather a state. As in, he is dying. He is saved by my other lead.

I have written a rather long and somewhat involved description of how she does that - which is what I'm now questioning. Is it necessary to be quite as detailed? Should I cut it down and then have Ella explain to Corin how bad he was? I'm also wondering whether it's necessary to go into his recovery or skim over that.

What I need to know is whether the kind of people that would pick up a sci fi book would want to read the details or if they would just skip to the action. I mean, this novel is epic and involved and detailed... sort of on a scale like Lord of the Rings. It's not something I've seen done in sci fi. Though I'll be glad if someone pulls me up on that, because then I'd know if there's actually a market for this thing LOL.

Offline PIJ1951

Re: Should I write these scenes?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 06:37:33 AM »
Have you read 'Dune' by Frank Herbert? I seem to recall there were 5 sequels which made LOR look like a novella.

My advice, don't try to second guess what potential readers might want or not want to read. If the detail is necessary for the sake of plot cohesion or character development then include it. But be wary of making it seem as if you're instructing the reader rather than getting on with telling your story.