Author Topic: Help needed please!  (Read 404 times)

Offline coralmia

Help needed please!
« on: May 04, 2020, 04:15:43 AM »
Hi Everyone, hope you are all keeping well during these strange times.,,

As I now have more time on my hands, I've been working on my book again. It's autobiographical and about my having lived in 89 homes, in UK and abroad, before I turned 50! All types of homes from flats to boats, caravans to pubs, houses to tents with the odd hotel thrown in too. All were the main residences at that particular time, ie they were not second homes. We were not in the services or worked for a travel company, all was done independently.

It is interesting because we had many ups and downs and did so many things but I feel it needs to be more than just a chronological account - it needs an ooomph factor or a thread. Any ideas as to how I could do this?

I would really appreciate any comments. Thank you.
Modify message

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
Re: Help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 03:30:05 AM »
Possibly something like a Quest plot?

To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline JTetstone

• Jan Tetstone a/k/s Janice Sanford/nosuchmember
    • The Spirit Within Poetry
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 12:37:56 PM »
Maybe this link can help:

The Quest is a search for a place, item, or person that requires the hero to leave home in order to find it. ... The Quest is the plot type most likely to have a group of main characters rather than one protagonist in the main eye of the story https://thewritepractice.com/the-quest/

It's a waste of time to try to teach a heart writer rules for writing.. Smile. jt

Offline maryhughes

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
Hi
Can you see a pattern, an arc? Can you answer "why" ... you made all these changes. Did you have an extremely stable childhood so were able to be a bit of a gypsy?  Or did you move around a great deal as a child and got use to it.  I used to move every few years .. and would joke that as a result I never had to do a thorough spring cleaning. 
Also consider it from the point of view of pros and cons ... i.e. if you move all the time, you don't like accumulate as much stuff... which in my view, is a good thing.  Cons - you leave treasures behind ... or lose things you care about.  Well, pros and cons is perhaps a chapter.
Perhaps instead of a horizontal, i.e. chrono approach, you think vertically - i.e. different aspects of moving ... adventures, pros&cons, mishaps, surprises, challenges of new neighbourhoods, disasters,
Off the top, I'm afraid, my thoughts

Offline coralmia

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 03:05:48 AM »
Many thanks for all your advice, it's most helpful.