Author Topic: Help needed please!  (Read 404 times)

Offline coralmia

Help needed please!
« on: May 03, 2020, 12:33:04 PM »
Hi Everyone, hope you are all keeping well during these strange times.,,

As I now have more time on my hands, I've been working on my book again. It's autobiographical and about my having lived in 89 homes, in UK and abroad, before I turned 50! All types of homes from flats to boats, caravans to pubs, houses to tents with the odd hotel thrown in too. All were the main residences at that particular time, ie they were not second homes. We were not in the services or worked for a travel company, all was done independently.

It is interesting because we had many ups and downs and did so many things but I feel it needs to be more than just a chronological account - it needs an ooomph factor or a thread. Any ideas as to how I could do this?

I would really appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Offline PIJ1951

Re: Help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
The problem with many autobiographies is that they are of interest only to the writer and his/her immediate family (unless you are a celebrity, which for some bizarre reason exonerates you from including anything remotely interesting to the average reader). The only selling point outside this circle of your acquaintances is the number of different homes you have lived in - but that's not going to be enough as you realise. What you might find fascinating could well bore others. But I can guarantee relying simply on a list of 50+ house moves will be unlikely to attract a significant reading audience.

Maybe you could focus on the dozen or so really remarkable places you found yourself in - and the situations that arose as a consequence. If there's enough original and intriguing material there to hook those of us who don't even know you, that's a start. And you might then have enough material left over for a sequel or two.

Offline AmyJoestar

Re: Help needed please!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »
I think if you can include specifics about what made these homes interesting and provided some funny anecdotes about things that happened to you in the areas/communities/or houses, it could be an interesting idea! It would need to be about more than just the houses themselves - unless you're writing it from an interior design standpoint. You could also make the book cater to home-moving enthusiasts, or people who like to house-flip, or something like that. Good luck!