Author Topic: Dollstone, completed YA novel, looking for beta readers (20 chapters, 81k words)  (Read 108 times)

Offline BlakeR

Hello to whoever has stumbled upon this,
My name is Blake and Iím looking for a beta reader to look over and give feedback for my novel. It is a Young Adult novel and the first book I have ever written. I am looking for young adult readers primarily, because that is my main target audience, but I would also greatly appreciate anyone elseís feedback.

My novel is called Dollstone and is set in a secluded Australian beach town that has within it a tightknit and religious community that exists inside its own little bubble. Each chapter is split up into small sections, with each part following one of the 7 main characters and their parallel stories within this town.

These 7 main characters are:

Arcadian Bellmore-
Since moving to Dollstone, Cade has tried to keep a low profile and have things be different from before with this fresh start, and not have a repeat of his last school and how everyone constantly gave him unending pity because of his dying mother. Though keeping his head down is a difficult task when youíre dating Elke Jaebell.

Elke Jaebell-
Elke is the younger sister of Carnelia Jaebell, and ex-girlfriend of Victor Tomasi. She is shunned and ignored. Elke lost all of her friends, her boyfriend, and the affection and attention of the town she loved, all because of her sister.

Phineas Reynard-
Phin is the popular and brown-nosing star of Dollstone; their schoolís current boxing champion, dux, and soon to be school captain. All these achievements are paving a golden path to a scholarship which can buy him the ticket he so desperately wants to get out of this town.

Alexander Liftanti-
Alexander is Phinís best friend and has always been stuck in his shadow. No matter how hard he trains, what is on the line, what he bets against himself, he is never able to beat Phin in a boxing match.

Giorno De Luca-
Giorno is an amazing artist and will probably have galleries in his name by the age of 25, but he doesnít want to just be seen as an artist; he wants to be valued for being himself and not for his supposed ďGod-givenĒ talents. He wants to get texts where people are inviting him to a movie, not just they want a painting done for them.

Carnelia Jaebell-
Carney is the older sister of Elke and beloved Dollstone school captain turned sex-worker. Upon returning to Dollstone, Carney has found that the town that once loved her, now doesnít have the patience to hear her attempts of explaining herself; an activity that is frustratingly repetitive in her life.

Victor Tomasi- Vic is the adopted son of the heart and soul of Dollstone, Chappy Tom. He was adopted out of an act of charity and wants to feel like heís earnt the place he has in his fatherís house, while trying to keep his anger and jealousy in check.

Thank you very much, if you are interested then please send me an email at blake.rathie@gmail.com or reply below.

Offline Dustin91

Hi Blake,

The thing about small, insular communities like Dollstone is they are sooo easily shaken to their core by internal strife, or external forces--harmless or otherwise  ;D

I'd be happy to take a read through if you would be brave enough to post some of your story here.

Dustin

Offline BlakeR

Thank you very much, this is the first batch of beta readers I've ever had.
I can't seem to upload word documents here, but if you send me an email at blake.rathie@gmail.com then I will send you the first chapter, I won't force any more onto you in case you don't like it.
Thanks,
Blake

Offline Dustin91

My pleasure Blake. But first may I direct your attention to the 'Sticky: please read first' at the top of the Review My Work discussion board--this should clear up any confusion or difficulties regarding posting. Keep an eye out for the Stickies in general. Normally users will copy and paste excerpts of their stories for review. The tools above your comment box when posting a reply make it easier for us to pinpoint exactly what we're talking about.

Also, I would encourage you to spend some time just perusing the site to get a feel for how it functions. It's a give and take community, and proper etiquette is to read and review 3 other works for every review request of your own.

Dustin

Offline PIJ1951

If you're looking for a little more feedback (rather than a complete beta reading report) feel free to cut and paste the first 2000 words on here and I'll be happy to give it a read and offer a critique. I'm a YA/NA writer (7 novels and counting) so I already have some experience in the genre.