Author Topic: Every piece we write is better than the one before -is that true, yes or no?  (Read 184 times)

Offline Louis D. Thorpe

• Sigmund Freud versus Carl Jung
I suppose this is my desperate way of asking for an evaluation -would you give this piece a like, a love, an indifferent or simply, a constructive comment.

http://justicewell.com/lou

Over the years, people have frequently asked me what I write about and my responses have varied with time.

One time, when I told somebody that I am a writer, simply because I have published a book on Amazon and frequently blog, she turned to me and said,

"Anybody can do that. You are not a writer. Agatha Christie is a writer."

I was quite amused because I have never read any Agatha Christie and I never will, so in my world, she is not a writer.

Moreover, I am quite distressed by the proliferation of the mystery/crime genre because I believe that the brilliant minds of so many could have been put to more productive usage.

This background is merely a segue into my next point; which is what I say when I am asked the frequent question:

"What do you write about?"

My answer today, "Like every writer, I essentially write about myself...and then I elaborate."

And so, because I have never read Agatha Christe, I would appreciate an answer to the question; "What does the writing of Agatha Christie say about Agatha Christie?"

I hope my question is merely borne out of a sense of natural curiosity and is not a subconscious chip on my shoulder because I would hate that and regardless, I believe in the power of the conscious, not the subjective opinion of the subconscious.

-Cheers,

Lou

Offline Louis D. Thorpe

The bottom line is therefore that some writers are more equal than others and that is ultimately determined by;

A/ Their Motivation
B/ Their Readers
C/ The marketing budget which is used to advance their interests.

I guess we are all writers to some degree or another and it takes a very prolific and knowledgeable reader to assess the value or the benefit of that in a serious manner.

Or you can merely share any opinion...

Online PIJ1951

Some writers write to keep themselves entertained and obtaining publication is never an issue.
Some write to make money or to see their names in print, regardless of how much pleasure it gives them or their readers.
And some write purely to entertain their readers, so any earnings are of secondary importance.

None of the above are a superior breed of 'artist' compared to any other writers.
Agatha Christie was of her time - she kept her fans entertained by her meticulous plotting so she was clearly a successful witer. What does her writing say about her? She had an active imagination and enjoyed feeding her readers' curiosity and hunger for more of the same.

Crime fiction is no less a valuable use of a writer's time than memoir or romance or historical fiction or even literary fiction. Your apparent distress is probably unwarranted - but maybe that's because your tastes do not include this particular genre.

Offline Louis D. Thorpe

Some writers write to keep themselves entertained and obtaining publication is never an issue.
Some write to make money or to see their names in print, regardless of how much pleasure it gives them or their readers.
And some write purely to entertain their readers, so any earnings are of secondary importance.

None of the above are a superior breed of 'artist' compared to any other writers.
Agatha Christie was of her time - she kept her fans entertained by her meticulous plotting so she was clearly a successful witer. What does her writing say about her? She had an active imagination and enjoyed feeding her readers' curiosity and hunger for more of the same.

Crime fiction is no less a valuable use of a writer's time than memoir or romance or historical fiction or even literary fiction. Your apparent distress is probably unwarranted - but maybe that's because your tastes do not include this particular genre.

Great points. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:28:01 PM by Louis D. Thorpe »