Author Topic: Second piece of advice for non-fiction writers: check your facts  (Read 249 times)

Offline jirapon

Okay, maybe most of the people on this forum write fiction, so this advice may not be of interest - but I read a lot of non-fiction, and since I've got kindle unlimited, I've started reading a lot of self-published non-fiction, so I am becoming acutely aware of the pitfalls in this market.

Table of contents I think is the biggie, but coming close on its heels is: check your facts. Even if you think it is just a cute throw-away line that isn't critical to the overall message (which then begs the question of why it's there, but let's not go there for the time being) - it still matters.

Very often I am seeing quotes attributed to the wrong people, definitions that are incorrect, references to scientific studies that mis-represent what the actual study was intended to show, etc. Today (prompting this post) I read someone refer to knowledge that is passed on from generation to generation via an oral or written tradition and accepted as fact without evidence - and the author said, "Carl Jung referred to this as the Collective Unconscious". Well no, that is not what Jung was referring to at all when he coined the term "Collective Unconscious", and the most rudimentary research would make that obvious.

Sheesh people, if you can take the time to write a non-fiction book, you can take the extra 10% and check your facts and quotes.

Mini-rant ove
เล่นคาสิโนufabet