Author Topic: Anyone interested in Italy??  (Read 284 times)

Offline disputes123

Anyone interested in Italy??
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:57:50 AM »
Hello everyone,,
I need a very honest opinion from whoever can be kind enough to give it a thought:

I'm thinking of writing political novels. I want to pick up the social/political wrongs in different coutries and write a fiction novel keeping the wrongs as a backdrop. The country I've picked to write my first novel about is Italy. I've lived here in intervals for almost 10 months and I've also managed to learn Italian and so been able to make many friends....

What's confusing me now and thus putting me in an awkward spot, is that I'm not sure how my friends and well wishers will view my novel if it is going to be based on a 'political wrong' in their country. I watched 'Roman Holiday' with my husband last night and it was so beautiful I wanted to visit Rome all over again!....and here I am planning on lambasting the political policies of Rome, criticising the Vatican City and taking the side of the minute 5 % of the polulation...who don't matter in the polls anyway!

As I'm a foreigner in Italy, all my Italian friends are interested in knowing my views about their country etc. The problem is the 'Roman Holiday' and 'The Da Vinci Code' cult models! I'd be up against such a hugely popular country/ culture and showing the world that well under the beautiful facade...Italy is ugly in its darkest corners.

So, in short the question is what would YOU be more interested in reading about:  a beautiful and romantic Italian life you can run away to, through the book pages in front of you?

Or, a life in Italy sans the beauty, full of its problems and how the beautiful elements of it make it even uglier at some points...in short about REAL life rta driving test in Italy for those who aren't 'beautiful' by the popupar and political standards?...

would appreciate your views!

thanks

Online PIJ1951

Re: Anyone interested in Italy??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 06:57:52 AM »
I also love visiting Italy - particularly Rome and Venice. But that doesn't mean I've become blinded to its corrupt history from the days of Ancient Rome, through various upheavals in the Vatican to its fascist regime preceding and during the Second World War and more recent political intrigues.

If you intend writing a realistic political novel set in that beautiful country, you do it no favours by glossing over the more distasteful aspects of its history and portraying it as some kind of too-good-to-be-true paradise.

Good luck.

Offline Jacko

Re: Anyone interested in Italy??
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:04:53 AM »
I also have many Italian friends and I visit Italy often and like you I have learned the language. I would say this about Italians. They certainly are not oblivious to the short comings of their political class (like most of us in the world today). It just so happens that in Italian politics there appears to be an extremely fine line between "breaking the law" and "playing the game of politics". I am not for one minute suggesting that the majority of Italians are not law abiding citizens. They are. They just accept more readily than the rest of us that their politics are corrupt and there is nothing they (the citizens) can do about it. I have no doubt whatsoever that should you write a thriller or any other genre centred around Italian politics, even if it is critical of their political culture, it will be wholly acceptable to the Italian people. Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:10:04 AM by Jacko »