Author Topic: Dealing with writing too much information?  (Read 82 times)

Offline disputes123

Dealing with writing too much information?
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »
I've been writing this novel for a while now and every time I finished a chapter it always dawned on me that I was giving way too much information in them. By giving too much information I mean it in two ways; giving too much away and not keeping enough as mysterious and giving too much information for description which I feared would bore the reader.

My fear of boring the reader became a reality when my friend offered to beta read one of the chapters for me and he couldn't even finish it because of the amount of descriptions. While I know that many people will say 'your book, your rules' but I want to make sure that those who read my novel doesn't feel like it's a chore and actually enjoy itีีีีufabet9x.com

So, my question is: How do you deal with removing useless information and descriptions from your writing and how can I easily do this in my own writing? I have eliminated some useless information in some of my chapters but these chapters are still over 20 pages and I just feel like that is far too long to be entertaining.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:37:08 AM by disputes123 »

Offline PIJ1951

Re: Dealing with writing too much information?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 04:38:56 AM »
It's a case of deciding whether or not the reader needs the information or not. Will the story keep making sense without these details? Can each character's development be seen without these details? Most of the time the answer is YES.
Ask yourself - why does the reader need to know this. If they don't, leave it out. Most of the time writers cram their stories with information to show how much THEY know. Descriptions by their very nature slow down the pace and shift focus away from the plot. Your words should drive the plot forwards not stall it. No wonder some readers give up when faced with a wall of self-indulgent waffle.