Author Topic: Learning the rules of the English language.  (Read 9623 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Learning the rules of the English language.
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
We decided to lift it a bit from British into a rather global English which might be easier to understand for a broader audience. This way, we did not have to adjust the book for another market as happened to the Harry Potter books (so that the world-renowned wizard would not have to walk around in a small girl’s dress rather than a pullover – the word jumper is understood quite differently in different parts of the world).

Above -- what some publishers do and why. Explains why HP has US spelling/terms. Taken from: http://safkhetpublishing.wordpress.com/

Offline TheGreyMan

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
We decided to lift it a bit from British into a rather global English which might be easier to understand for a broader audience. This way, we did not have to adjust the book for another market as happened to the Harry Potter books (so that the world-renowned wizard would not have to walk around in a small girl’s dress rather than a pullover – the word jumper is understood quite differently in different parts of the world).

Above -- what some publishers do and why. Explains why HP has US spelling/terms. Taken from: http://safkhetpublishing.wordpress.com/

This is fascinating. It makes sense to me really. I guess with the amount of American culture we enjoy here in the UK i have learnt to accept and understand the slight differences in language (though i do still get a little bit of a shock when i hear an american sitcom use the word 'fanny'  :o ).
I guess i have never really thought about the effect going the other way over the pond, i guess that Americans would be less exposed to our way of talking, therefore the differences would be more pronounced to them.

I for one like the idea of a global English.  :)
Forgive me if I'm being naive, I'm quite new to this.

Offline 2par

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
oh, not so, grey man. We Americans are well exposed to British programming and language. In fact, more Brits can find work here in the arts than Americans can in England. It's a sore spot with some, but I don't find a problem with it.

Offline protekme

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »
 ;D ;D

Thanks for the explanation

Gayle-- You must be the young generation. In my time, Eastern Canada, Ottawa, was teaching realize with z. We never heard of s. I found out only later that British wrote it differently.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:00:07 PM by protekme »
-- People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others 
-- I have made this letter longer than usual only because I had no time to make it shorter
              Blaise Pascal

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 05:35:38 PM »
I'm from the "middle" generation now. I'm in my late 30's.  ;)
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline DixonAlexander

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2021, 03:34:47 AM »
I completely agree that By far the best way of learning the 'rules of good English is by reading good novels. I think a fake diploma reviews can also help you with this to learn English easily.

Offline bantonmai

• ครบครันความรู้เกี่ยวกับเรื่องของต้นไ
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2021, 03:53:26 AM »
thx you for all info so much