Author Topic: New here  (Read 433 times)

Offline Cary Pohlhammer

New here
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
I'm happy to be here. My name is Cary Pohlhammer, I'm from Chicago, and I guess my only credibility as a writer is that I've won National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) several times. In case you're not sure, every November is NaNoWriMo where people write a draft of a manuscript up to 50,000 words. Every April and July is Camp NaNoWriMo, one of the major differences being that the writer can choose his or her own word count. Generally, I make it 25,000. Combining the standard one in November and the Camp versions, I've won 9 out of 10, because there was one year where I didn't make the word count. Also, out of the winning nine, only one of those stories is finished, which was from my first one called Dahlias, from November 2015.

Since I've never been published anywhere, I emphasize my experience with NaNoWriMo. I really hope to be published as a novelist, but I just need to revise Dahlias and go through the publishing process.

I write pretty much everything (books, short stories, poetry and haiku, journal entries, film reviews, and screenwriting), but I want to be known publicly as a novelist. I'm always up for talking about writing and literature, so I'm glad I came upon this forum. Feel free to hit me up any time.

Offline JTetstone

• Jan Tetstone a/k/s Janice Sanford/nosuchmember
    • heartsong's Poetry Diary
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
Hello and welcome to MWC, Cary.           jt
Proud to be an American who knows what being an American means.   -Jan Tetstone

Offline JameelaM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »
Hey Cary,

Thanks for checking out MWC, I see you have already starting having fun, I appreciate the One Sentence at a Time game you kicked off.

Are you open to sharing some of your winning entries? What are some of the challenges you faced in these competitions that you would only know by actually having had a part in it.

Have you explored the world of self publishing? Or just publishing Dahlias as a Kindle eBook to get it out there?

Happy to have you as part of the community!
Jameela
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:26:15 PM by JameelaM »

Offline RogerL

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 10:43:19 AM »
Hi Cary,

I joined a couple days before you. Speaking for myself, you're much closer to publishing significant work, it sounds like you'll be called novelist in the near future. It would be great to see samples of your writing as well as critiques to help others improve.

Roger