Author Topic: So here I am  (Read 202 times)

Offline Snoopyseed

So here I am
« on: June 05, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
Hello people! I am new here, and I am looking for friendship and help and tips as I am writing my first non fiction book. I am hoping to help others as I go along. First things first, I need help with grammar, and also help with stopping procrastination.

How does everyone else get round this?

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
Re: So here I am
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:51:31 AM »
Hello...Welcome to MWC.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: So here I am
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
Snoopy,

Quick answer to the question of stopping procrastination.

Get your bum on the chair and start writing.  Set yourself a time each day when you will put aside everything else and sit and write.  At this point the quality and content of the writing isn't as important as the physical act.  Get into a habit of turning off the rest of your life so you can write.

We writers assume that what goes on in our heads is the important part, and therefore the physical aspect, making marks on paper, is relatively unimportant.

But without those marks for others to read, for us to edit and improve, writing is just a dream.

You can edit a mess, but you can't edit a blank page.

There is no life so busy you can't set aside writing time, not if you really want to write.

Get the first draft down.  Everything else is improvement and refinement.  It's a lifelong apprenticeship.  Even the masters are still learning.

Be honest with yourself.  If you know your problems with grammar and spelling are causing the procrastination - and if you're aware of them they probably are - go 'back to school' and deal with the problem.  There are plenty of online resources out there.  Or get hold of a real paper book on the subject and learn the lessons.

The good news?  The better you get the easier it is.  Truly.

One other tip.  If it's not already enabled find Auto-save on your processor and set it for something short like three minutes.   Get into the habit of writing everything in your processor, then cut and paste to here.  The posting window on any forum is a bit like a mirage.  It can vanish unexpectedly and when this happens your words have gone forever.

If you don't know where to look for auto-save the f1 key will usually summon the help pages.  (A good safety net encourages the performer to try harder.)

Gyppo
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:42:00 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1