Author Topic: Reminder to take writing advice with that grain of salt  (Read 296 times)

Offline Kit

Reminder to take writing advice with that grain of salt
« on: May 30, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »
It seems like we should be aware of the "rules" but know that it's ok to break them when it makes our writing better.  What do you think?

http://litreactor.com/columns/the-ten-worst-pieces-of-writing-advice-you-will-ever-hear-and-probably-already-have

Kit

Offline msgretagreen

Re: Reminder to take writing advice with that grain of salt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:02:56 AM »
Thank you, Kit. Iím dwelling in a pit of conflicting feedback. Sometimes we just need to shut out all voices and ďadviceĒ.

Offline Kit

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »
I thought it was helpful to understand why these "rules" were established in the first place.  And ultimately, they're really more like guidelines. 

Good luck with your continued writing msgretagreen!

Kit

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
Depends on whether or not the advice had a 'helpful' intent. By that, I mean, not everyone has the best of intention when giving another advice.

Even the best of intentions can come across 'mean spirited'...I think it all depends on how one shares their opinions [gives advice].

I think,  there are times, one should refrain from expressing  an opinion /giving advice ,if they themselves would be offended, if those remarks were directed at them or their work.  Just my opinion.    Best of luck to everyone.  jt