Author Topic: HELP! What do you think this sentence means?  (Read 362 times)

Offline MJTennant

• We are the Gifted
HELP! What do you think this sentence means?
« on: May 08, 2019, 03:52:57 PM »
Hello all

So, my story is aimed at young adults so I would say from 16 to 21 type of age.  This is my audience.  Could you tell me how you would read this line.  I am fine with the English / grammar but feel that this could be read two ways.  For a bit of background, Abigail (the protagonist) has just met her stepbrother for the first time and he is a complete (ass###e) to her and storms off in the middle of an argument.  His name is Connor.

I am just aware that in some countries / places that the wording I have used could be misunderstood.

If you could please tell me what how you took the meaning of this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

M J

I must admit, it was the best display of man-tantrum I had ever seen, even better than Benís after Iíd blown him off for the third time.

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
Re: HELP! What do you think this sentence means?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
Hello all

So, my story is aimed at young adults so I would say from 16 to 21 type of age.  This is my audience.  Could you tell me how you would read this line.  I am fine with the English / grammar but feel that this could be read two ways.  For a bit of background, Abigail (the protagonist) has just met her stepbrother for the first time and he is a complete (ass###e) to her and storms off in the middle of an argument.  His name is Connor.

I am just aware that in some countries / places that the wording I have used could be misunderstood.

If you could please tell me what how you took the meaning of this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

M J

I must admit, it was the best display of man-tantrum I had ever seen, even better than Benís after Iíd blown him off for the third time.

It reads better with an 'a'...

I must admit, it was the best display of a man-tantrum I had ever seen, even better than Benís after Iíd blown him off for the third time.

Offline Kit

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 04:15:38 PM »
Don't know about Yorkshire, but here in the states, when 16 - 21 year olds read this line: "after Iíd blown him off for the third time."

They are going to giggle.

Offline Zoey141

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:27:49 PM »
That does sound funny...if you are not too attached with the sentence, consider replacing the words 'blown off'.