Author Topic: So here I am  (Read 295 times)

Offline Snoopyseed

So here I am
« on: April 25, 2019, 04:25:07 PM »
Hello all. I'm not sure where to start really, so after a cup of coffee, I may have clarified my thoughts a bit better.

Right, had my coffee. I have been meaning to write a book for a number of years. I do not know why I  cannot start it but I just can't. I feel I don't know enough about grammar, I haven't got the right laptop, I am too old, I am too young. Excuse after excuse. Is it writer's block? Im not sure. My book will be non-fiction and very personal to me. Anyone else out there with a book welling up inside of them but just cannot get it out? ::)

Snoopyseed.

Offline landmersm

• Better the Devil at Wordpress
Re: So here I am
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
Hello and welcome.

Laptops are not required for writing. 

Seriously.

Of course, they make things amazingly easier but are not a requirement. Source: Every piece of literature written before the year 2000. If you have one with a writing program on it, you're good to go.

Grammar can be learned. Plenty of sites on the internet where you can learn most of what you need to know. (And there are plenty of examples on "legitimate" websites of how not to write.)

Too young may be a thing. I don't know of too many toddlers who can write a novel, but too old doesn't exist. It damn well better not, or I'm in trouble.

As far as writer's block? I dunno. I think for me it's always been the impostor syndrome. I fight with it all of the time. I vacillate between feeling like I'm not worthy and feeling like I don't care what others think. It's a constant battle.

Think of it this way:  In 5 years, where do you want to be? (Don't say a best selling author. (Maybe it will happen, but maybe not.)) Do you want to be sitting at home wishing you would have gotten started, or do you want to be sitting at home agonizing about where that stupid comma should go in that one paragraph that has driven you nuts for the last month and a half?

My blog is  https://betterdevil.wordpress.com/  (It's new-ish!)

Also, check out my self-published first novel, The Last Time

@ http://a.co/d/hP980yk  (Amazon link)

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:15:42 PM »
Hello and Welcome to MWC.     

Offline KMStarling

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »
Hey, welcome. I share your struggles, but if MWC is what I remember, you'll feel very comfortable here and in turn (hopefully) be inspired to sharpen your craft.

Look forward to reading your work and helping in any way I can. :)