Author Topic: Rough Draft Prologue of Daybreak novel/ Fantasy novel  (Read 418 times)

Offline dbarco4606

Rough Draft Prologue of Daybreak novel/ Fantasy novel
« on: March 22, 2019, 04:03:25 PM »
 :-*Summary of the book:

The night is still bright. Such is the declaration that has dominated the royal bloodline of the McCllelands, the Kings of the Tarhil nation. King Rodric has ruled Tarhil for thirty years. He was the first king to create three boroughs through the land and assign his grandsons as kings of each to rule.

On the day before his thirtieth anniversary of rule, King Rodric hears a rumor that seems impossible in Tarhil; a wolf, whom have been missing from the land has been said to reappear the day before.

As King Rodric and his family begin to investigate this claim of the wolf, an immediate threat lurks into the kingdom as King Rodric is assassinated. The kingdom is without a king since he has no son of his own.

In one year, his grandsons, Jaimy, Lewis, and Rory McClleland plan to go to war for the throne, in what is being called around the land as “the war of cousins.”

Meanwhile Jaimy, Lewis, and Rory’s 15 year old children; James, Sophie, and Caden embark on a journey to stop the war of their fathers by searching for the ancient book of light that is said to bring peace to the land.

As a family prepares for war, an old mystery begins to resurface back with a wolf that threatens to make the night become complete darkness.

---------------------------------
Prologue

“Please! Can you two just head back home?” Arianell begged as the the sun began to prick through the old forest trees in front of her.  “It’s not safe out here.”
“What is dangerous is him having your heart.” Lawin responded with a sarcastic grin.

Arianell glanced at the hard trail in disgust. As her eyes followed it, her body was yanked into Colter’s burly chest.
“Tell this crazy fool that you have loved me since you came of age.” Colter said.
Lawin protested noisily. Colter could see the tightness in Lawin’s eyes as he brushed his brown hair away from his face. The sun continued to sneak through the bottom of the old trees beside them.
Arianell pushed away from Colter as he tried to match the loudness of Lawin’s voice. A beam from the sun snuck past the trees and struck her glossy green eyes. Slowly sobbing, she wiped  the tears that ran down her face. She loved Colter since she had come of age. Lawin was the shy one who was always scared to talk to her. She knew that being nice to Lawin caused this. She just wanted to be a friend that he could talk to. The night seemed to last forever as she knew they were coming here to fight for her hand.
“You were my close friend you piece of crap.” Colter said. “I have told you every night for the last three years that she has my whole heart and that I plan on taking her hand in marriage when I graduate as a soldier of the King’s army.”
Lawin was younger than Colter but not by many months. He was born in the nicest Spring that ever came across Tarhil in recent years. Colter was born in the coldest winter that the land had ever experienced. Both were handsome and still without any scars on their youthful faces.
“In the seventeen years I have been alive, I never seen someone so unworthy of love.” Lawin said. “Especially of someone like her.” He pointed at Arianell and stepped closer to Colter.
Colter didn’t blink and took a slow swallow, to hide whatever nervousness was on his face.
The cool crisp wind blew their brown robes that touched their worn brown boots. Somewhere off in the woods Arianell heard something. She squinted through her tears at the woods behind her to see what the sound was. She tightened her purple robe as the noises in the woods sent more chills through her body than the cold wind that blown her red hair in her face.
“I heard something…..in the woods.” She exclaimed. “Can we just go back. I am scared and tired.”
Lawin took his robe off and dropped it to the ground as he stared into Colter’s glistening blue eyes.
“My lady, I am sorry that you have to witness this, but I will never let anyone take you from me.” Colter responded in a soft voice as he dropped his robe on top of Lawin’s robe. “Even a friend that is like a brother.”
Arianell walked slowly away from the entrance of the woods, wordless. She shed tears of anger  and sights in what she saw.
“My lady….please.” Colter said. “He is trying to steal you from me.” At that moment, he saw movement in the woods from the corner of his eye. He glanced over to the woods with full attention.
All of a sudden, Colter felt Lawin’s hard fist strike his jaw. He fell to the cold dirt.
“Lawin……stop it.” She yelled. She placed her hand on his shoulder to stop him from continuing. Passion flooded his eyes. He threw her hand off his shoulder. He kicked Colter continuously as Colter rolled in pain. Arianell screamed with earnest intent to stop Lawin. He twisted around for a look at her, as he took pleasure in the agony in her young and pretty face.
Lawin pointed with a sarcastic laugh at Colter as he coughed and struggled to get to his knees. “You want him to be your Beloved till your death?” Colter stood and rushed at Lawin. He caught Colter and put him in a tight headlock. He gazed into her eyes as he thrusted his knee into Colter’s chest.
She sobbed with each strike. “Stop it.” She slapped Lawin in his face, not budging his look of excitement. Lawin leaned his face close to hers and kissed her soft lips. She stumbled back from him in surprise tripping over a branch. She fell on her back close to the wood line.
Colter, out of anger, picked Lawin up and slammed him on his back beside Arianell.
“How dare you you touch her.” Colter screamed. He punched him in his face. Lawin’s face seemed hard as a rock. He never felt a man’s face on his fist. His knuckles shook in shock.
Lawin grasped Colter’s throat with both of his calloused hands. They both struggled to keep position. Suddenly, Lawin pressed Colter’s knot in his throat. Colter screamed in pain and fell to his side. He grasped for air as Lawin sat on top of him. Each punch seemed as if it was going to break Colter’s face. The blood slowly flooded into his mouth. The dirt added small pieces of rock into it.
“Oh, I plan on touching her alright.” Lawin declared with confidence as he continued to punch him in his bloody and dirty face. “In all types of  ways.”
Colter bellowed out loudly in painful vexation. Arianell struggled to get up as she watched. Again and again she glanced at Colter taking punch after punch in his face. Straightaway, she hears branches breaking in the woods as if someone is close but she saw no one.
Colter began to feel like he was losing consciousness. With each punch, Lawin’s face became even more blurred than the last hit.
Lawin held his fist halfway between him and Colter. The blood from his face dripped back down on Colter. His blood was a darker red than the his own blood that seeped through his bruised and cut up knuckles.
Lawin laughed. Colter turned his head from side to side in attempt to cast away the blurriness that had overtaken his eyes.
“Even if you survive this my friend, she could never love a face like yours now.” Lawin grabbed his face firmly to stop his head from moving. “She is mine for the rest of her days.”
The light tried to sneak past the thick trees. A ray of light cut past the bottom of the tree and pierced Lawin in his eyes. He squinted and looked straight up into the woods. His heart skipped a beat as he gazed upon some dark but at the same time bright amber eyes staring at him. It felt as if fear itself had crept into his soul and he could not take a breath.
A growl filled his ears in which he had never heard in his lifetime. For a moment he did not understand anything other than fear itself.
Suddenly, out of the woods a giant grey wolf leaps upon Lawin. Arianell sat still paralyzed in fear. Lawin screamed in agony as the wolf dug his sharp and long teeth into his throat. Blood splattered onto Colter’s face. It gave the blurriness a slight reddish tint. He laid there as the scream from Lawin went silent. He could just hear the chomping and Lawin’s body tremble. The smell of blood with Lawin’s pee and crap filled Colter’s nostrils.
The grey wolf raised his head slowly. The blood dripped off of it’s fine hair as it made eye contact with Arianell. She thought to herself that she was next. She knew she had stared death in the eyes.
The wolf walked away from Lawin’s lifeless body to Colter. He turned his head as much as he could. The wolf licked it’s face as if it did not want to waste the blood. Colter shivered as the wolf lowered it’s head down to his and sniffed in quick bursts. That moment seemed as if it lasted for eternity. The wolf then lifted it’s head and unhurriedly walked back into the woods.
Arianell remained in the same spot staring at Colter in absolute shock. It had been at least thirty minutes she thought. All of a sudden, a older man with with his mules walked up to Arianell slowly. The sun light hit his face and was trapped in the many wrinkles that covered it. At a slow pace, he bent down to her.
“My young lady….are you okay?” The old man asked.
She nodded up and down in a daze.
“Did he kill him?” He questioned.
She nodded no frantically and trembled in fear. “It…was ……a ….”
The old man stood in confusion.
“A what?”
She gazed into his eyes.
“A wolf.”
He stood there glaring down at her in even more confusion.
“My young lady, we both know that isn’t possible.” He responded.
He turned and stared at Lawin’s lifeless body. His throat had been torn out to the point where his chin touched the top of his chest.
He leaned over and helped Arianell up. “No one has seen a wolf in five hundred years.”
He put his arm around her. “Please, let me just take you home.”
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 04:33:33 PM by dbarco4606 »

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
Re: Rough Draft Prologue of Daybreak novel/ Fantasy novel
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
:-*Summary of the book:

The night is still bright. Such is the declaration that has dominated the royal bloodline of the McCllelands, the Kings of the Tarhil nation. King Rodric has ruled Tarhil for thirty years. He was the first king to create three boroughs through the land and assign his grandsons as kings of each to rule.

On the day before his thirtieth anniversary of rule, King Rodric hears a rumor that seems impossible in Tarhil; a wolf, whom have been missing from the land has been said to reappear the day before.

As King Rodric and his family begin to investigate this claim of the wolf, an immediate threat lurks into the kingdom as King Rodric is assassinated. The kingdom is without a king since he has no son of his own.

In one year, his grandsons, Jaimy, Lewis, and Rory McClleland plan to go to war for the throne, in what is being called around the land as “the war of cousins.”

Meanwhile Jaimy, Lewis, and Rory’s 15 year old children; James, Sophie, and Caden embark on a journey to stop the war of their fathers by searching for the ancient book of light that is said to bring peace to the land.

As a family prepares for war, an old mystery begins to resurface back with a wolf that threatens to make the night become complete darkness.

---------------------------------
Prologue

“Please! Can you two just head back home?” Arianell begged as the the sun began to prick through the old forest trees in front of her.  “It’s not safe out here.”
“What is dangerous is him having your heart.” Lawin responded with a sarcastic grin.

Arianell glanced at the hard trail in disgust. As her eyes followed it, her body was yanked into Colter’s burly chest.
“Tell this crazy fool that you have loved me since you came of age.” Colter said.
Lawin protested noisily. Colter could see the tightness in Lawin’s eyes as he brushed his brown hair away from his face. The sun continued to sneak through the bottom of the old trees beside them.
Arianell pushed away from Colter as he tried to match the loudness of Lawin’s voice. A beam from the sun snuck past the trees and struck her glossy green eyes. Slowly sobbing, she wiped  the tears that ran down her face. She loved Colter since she had come of age. Lawin was the shy one who was always scared to talk to her. She knew that being nice to Lawin caused this. She just wanted to be a friend that he could talk to. The night seemed to last forever as she knew they were coming here to fight for her hand.
“You were my close friend you piece of crap.” Colter said. “I have told you every night for the last three years that she has my whole heart and that I plan on taking her hand in marriage when I graduate as a soldier of the King’s army.”
Lawin was younger than Colter but not by many months. He was born in the nicest Spring that ever came across Tarhil in recent years. Colter was born in the coldest winter that the land had ever experienced. Both were handsome and still without any scars on their youthful faces.
“In the seventeen years I have been alive, I never seen someone so unworthy of love.” Lawin said. “Especially of someone like her.” He pointed at Arianell and stepped closer to Colter.
Colter didn’t blink and took a slow swallow, to hide whatever nervousness was on his face.
The cool crisp wind blew their brown robes that touched their worn brown boots. Somewhere off in the woods Arianell heard something. She squinted through her tears at the woods behind her to see what the sound was. She tightened her purple robe as the noises in the woods sent more chills through her body than the cold wind that blown her red hair in her face.
“I heard something…..in the woods.” She exclaimed. “Can we just go back. I am scared and tired.”
Lawin took his robe off and dropped it to the ground as he stared into Colter’s glistening blue eyes.
“My lady, I am sorry that you have to witness this, but I will never let anyone take you from me.” Colter responded in a soft voice as he dropped his robe on top of Lawin’s robe. “Even a friend that is like a brother.”
Arianell walked slowly away from the entrance of the woods, wordless. She shed tears of anger  and sights in what she saw.
“My lady….please.” Colter said. “He is trying to steal you from me.” At that moment, he saw movement in the woods from the corner of his eye. He glanced over to the woods with full attention.
All of a sudden, Colter felt Lawin’s hard fist strike his jaw. He fell to the cold dirt.
“Lawin……stop it.” She yelled. She placed her hand on his shoulder to stop him from continuing. Passion flooded his eyes. He threw her hand off his shoulder. He kicked Colter continuously as Colter rolled in pain. Arianell screamed with earnest intent to stop Lawin. He twisted around for a look at her, as he took pleasure in the agony in her young and pretty face.
Lawin pointed with a sarcastic laugh at Colter as he coughed and struggled to get to his knees. “You want him to be your Beloved till your death?” Colter stood and rushed at Lawin. He caught Colter and put him in a tight headlock. He gazed into her eyes as he thrusted his knee into Colter’s chest.
She sobbed with each strike. “Stop it.” She slapped Lawin in his face, not budging his look of excitement. Lawin leaned his face close to hers and kissed her soft lips. She stumbled back from him in surprise tripping over a branch. She fell on her back close to the wood line.
Colter, out of anger, picked Lawin up and slammed him on his back beside Arianell.
“How dare you you touch her.” Colter screamed. He punched him in his face. Lawin’s face seemed hard as a rock. He never felt a man’s face on his fist. His knuckles shook in shock.
Lawin grasped Colter’s throat with both of his calloused hands. They both struggled to keep position. Suddenly, Lawin pressed Colter’s knot in his throat. Colter screamed in pain and fell to his side. He grasped for air as Lawin sat on top of him. Each punch seemed as if it was going to break Colter’s face. The blood slowly flooded into his mouth. The dirt added small pieces of rock into it.
“Oh, I plan on touching her alright.” Lawin declared with confidence as he continued to punch him in his bloody and dirty face. “In all types of  ways.”
Colter bellowed out loudly in painful vexation. Arianell struggled to get up as she watched. Again and again she glanced at Colter taking punch after punch in his face. Straightaway, she hears branches breaking in the woods as if someone is close but she saw no one.
Colter began to feel like he was losing consciousness. With each punch, Lawin’s face became even more blurred than the last hit.
Lawin held his fist halfway between him and Colter. The blood from his face dripped back down on Colter. His blood was a darker red than the his own blood that seeped through his bruised and cut up knuckles.
Lawin laughed. Colter turned his head from side to side in attempt to cast away the blurriness that had overtaken his eyes.
“Even if you survive this my friend, she could never love a face like yours now.” Lawin grabbed his face firmly to stop his head from moving. “She is mine for the rest of her days.”
The light tried to sneak past the thick trees. A ray of light cut past the bottom of the tree and pierced Lawin in his eyes. He squinted and looked straight up into the woods. His heart skipped a beat as he gazed upon some dark but at the same time bright amber eyes staring at him. It felt as if fear itself had crept into his soul and he could not take a breath.
A growl filled his ears in which he had never heard in his lifetime. For a moment he did not understand anything other than fear itself.
Suddenly, out of the woods a giant grey wolf leaps upon Lawin. Arianell sat still paralyzed in fear. Lawin screamed in agony as the wolf dug his sharp and long teeth into his throat. Blood splattered onto Colter’s face. It gave the blurriness a slight reddish tint. He laid there as the scream from Lawin went silent. He could just hear the chomping and Lawin’s body tremble. The smell of blood with Lawin’s pee and crap filled Colter’s nostrils.
The grey wolf raised his head slowly. The blood dripped off of it’s fine hair as it made eye contact with Arianell. She thought to herself that she was next. She knew she had stared death in the eyes.
The wolf walked away from Lawin’s lifeless body to Colter. He turned his head as much as he could. The wolf licked it’s face as if it did not want to waste the blood. Colter shivered as the wolf lowered it’s head down to his and sniffed in quick bursts. That moment seemed as if it lasted for eternity. The wolf then lifted it’s head and unhurriedly walked back into the woods.
Arianell remained in the same spot staring at Colter in absolute shock. It had been at least thirty minutes she thought. All of a sudden, a older man with with his mules walked up to Arianell slowly. The sun light hit his face and was trapped in the many wrinkles that covered it. At a slow pace, he bent down to her.
“A what?”
She gazed into his eyes.
“A wolf.”
He turned and stared at Lawin’s lifeless body. His throat had been torn out to the point where his chin touched the top of his chest.
He leaned over and helped Arianell up. “No one has seen a wolf in five hundred years.”

Right now, I have only one suggestion, David.  Put spaces. Example:

“Please! Can you two just head back home?” Arianell begged as the the sun began to prick through the old forest trees in front of her.
“It’s not safe out here.”

Suddenly, out of the woods a giant grey wolf leaps upon Lawin.

Arianell sat still paralyzed in fear. Lawin screamed in agony as the wolf dug his sharp and long teeth into his throat. Blood splattered onto Colter’s face. It gave the blurriness a slight reddish tint. He laid there as the scream from Lawin went silent. He could just hear the chomping and Lawin’s body tremble. The smell of blood with Lawin’s pee and crap filled Colter’s nostrils.

“A what?”

She gazed into his eyes.

“A wolf.”

He turned and stared at Lawin’s lifeless body. with the throat torn out to the point where his chin touched the top of his chest.

I hope my suggestion helps. With everything running together, it's hard to figure out what is happening in your story.  Jan

Offline landmersm

• Better the Devil at Wordpress
Re: Rough Draft Prologue of Daybreak novel/ Fantasy novel
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:55:41 PM »
Copying and pasting into this forum will do some strange things from time to time. How it looks on your screen is not always how it looks on the forum.  Add the spaces. It will make your work MUCH easier to read.

I have not had time to read your post thoroughly, but I will say this: with the insane popularity of Westeros, I would be careful having a fantasy novel start out around the finding of a wolf or type of wolf that had not been seen for ages; a brother named Jaimy; and warring families. That is the beginning of a A Song of Fire and Ice.

Best of luck. When I have a free moment ( ;D ;D ;D ;D) I'll give it a read-through.

My blog is  https://betterdevil.wordpress.com/  (It's new-ish!)

Also, check out my self-published first novel, The Last Time

@ http://a.co/d/hP980yk  (Amazon link)