Author Topic: Dark Fantasy Flash Fiction - 500 Word Stories - FLASHES OF WAR AND MAGIC  (Read 799 times)

Offline EliTaffJr

• Aloha!
    • Twitter
Hey, everyone! So many awesome new stories for me to read on the thread!

Here's my next Flash Fiction story. Like all of my others, I'm keeping STRICTLY to 500 words and my goal is to tell stories that connect to others in the book (and series), but can also serve as stand-alone tales. These will all be going in my upcoming anthology: Flashes of War and Magic.

Hope you like them!

A TEST OF FAITH
500 Words

Osmer was an old man when the demonic hosts of the Dread Lord Vargo Duuk invaded the great city-state of Stormhaven.

He wore his finest white ceremonial robes and prayed at the altar.

“Torphin.” Osmer called to the thin, filthy pilgrim beside him. “Be brave.”

“The city is fallen, High Priest.” Torphin said, his eyes darting back and forth. Outside, demons howled as they slaughtered Stormhaven’s citizens. “It is not safe here.”

“It is not safe anywhere.” Osmer smiled. “You arrived yesterday, fleeing the armies of the Dread Lord, seeking solace in these walls when the rest of my congregation fled. Believe me. The Three Gods of the Light are with us. Ulfric will grant us strength and courage, Selena will shield us from fear, and Revanos will guide our hands. Faith, young Torphin.”

With a great cacophony, the large oak doors suddenly flew off their hinges and crashed onto the polished stone floor. A red demon fifteen feet high with a terrible fanged maw and bulging muscles stepped into the Great Cathedral, its large black talons clicking on the stone floor.

“Oh, gods.” Torphin said.

“Torphin. There is a loose flagstone between the third and fourth sconces in the southern hall.” Osmer placed a steadying hand on Torphin’s shoulder. “Retrieve the sacred Sunblade hidden within. Go!”

Torphin ran off.

“I fear no demon.” Osmer said, facing the unholy creature as it feared to its full height.
The demon snorted, bared its teeth, then turned and walked back out to the slaughterhouse of the city.

A figure in purple velvet robes entered through the ruined doorway.

“Do you fear me, Osmer?” She pulled the hood back, revealing a stunningly beautiful woman with raven-black hair.

“Katarina?” Osmer’s voice was a whisper.

“Hello, love.” Katarina’s voice rang musically, seductively. “I’ve missed you.”

“No.” Osmer said.

“I forgive you-”

“Foul demon.” Osmer said. “You are an illusion.”

Katarina’s face shifted and reformed itself into the harsh, bearded face of a man that vaguely resembled Osmer.

“Illusion? Boy, I am as real as you.” The man out his hand. “Come. I’d never offered my hand to you before, save to raise it against you or your sister. Believe me, I regret-”

“Silence!” Osmer said. “You regret nothing, because you are not him. My father is dead and buried, as is Katarina! You skim my memories and make crude imposters, but I am not so weak of will, and you do not fool me!”

Torphin ran in holding the fabled Sunblade in both hands. He ran toward Osmer with a feverish look in his eyes.

“Now, demon!” Osmer said. “Prepare to-”

Osmer’s eyes bulged.

He coughed.

Specks of red spattered his white beard and robes.

Osmer collapsed, dead.

————————————————

Torphin pulled the Sunblade from the High Priest’s body.

“I did it.” He said in a shaking voice. “Got the key and the sword, just like you said.”

His mother smiled, pulling the purple hood back over her head.

“I knew you could do it, my son.”
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:55:28 AM by EliTaffJr »
Horror Flash Fiction Anthology - Killer Space Clown
http://bit.ly/2t2pNN8

Dark Fantasy Flash Fiction Anthology - Flashes of Death and Darkness
http://bit.ly/2ykzcTh

Join my mailing list and be the first to Beta read and receive FREE advanced review copies of all my work!
http://www.elitaffjr.com

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
Re: 500 Words - Dark Fantasy Flash Fiction - "A Test of Faith"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »
Hey, everyone! So many awesome new stories for me to read on the thread!

Here's my next Flash Fiction story. Like all of my others, I'm keeping STRICTLY to 500 words and my goal is to tell stories that connect to others in the book (and series), but can also serve as stand-alone tales. Hope you enjoy them!

I am very happy you posted more of your writing. And I agree there are a lot of new stories for all to read. I read all of the stories but comment on very few- I feel the older members here, and those , like yourself, are more qualified to evaluate  the writing of fellow MWC members.     Jan

Offline EliTaffJr

• Aloha!
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »
I am very happy you posted more of your writing. And I agree there are a lot of new stories for all to read. I read all of the stories but comment on very few- I feel the older members here, and those , like yourself, are more qualified to evaluate  the writing of fellow MWC members.     Jan

Hi Jan!

Thank you for the kind welcome back! There's so much to go through, I'll need to carve out some time later to read everyone's work and take notes to provide the best feedback possible. The great thing about these flash fiction stories is that you don't need to get through an entire 70k word draft to submit it for beta readers. If each story is self-contained and flows as a narrative, you can upload and post as you go, like I enjoy doing. See you around the boards!  -Eli

Join my mailing list and be the first to Beta read and receive FREE advanced review copies of all my work!

Offline nosuchmember

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:44:10 PM »
Hi Jan!

Thank you for the kind welcome back! There's so much to go through, I'll need to carve out some time later to read everyone's work and take notes to provide the best feedback possible. The great thing about these flash fiction stories is that you don't need to get through an entire 70k word draft to submit it for beta readers. If each story is self-contained and flows as a narrative, you can upload and post as you go, like I enjoy doing. See you around the boards!  -Eli

You Welcome Eli. Thank you for being an active MWC member.      Jan

Offline EliTaffJr

• Aloha!
    • Twitter
RELIC RETURNED
500 Words

Commander Todrik Willamont raised Brightstar above his head. The silver blade gleamed like a beacon against the drab, overcast sky, illuminating Todrik’s short-cropped silver hair and wrinkled face. “Here they come. Show ‘em our teeth, lads!”

The exhausted troopers braced their feet in the dew-covered grass. They lowered their spears and propped them along the tops of their shields.

In the distance, savage hordes of Orcs thundered across the Jade Grasslands in a roaring tidal wave.

Overhead, Elven Dragon Knights clashed with the winged Dreadbeasts of Drakkoro.

At Todrik’s side, Gwendolyn Greenbriar pointed her ivory staff toward the charging Orcs.

“They have cavalry.” She said.

Large armored Orc berserkers perched atop frothing war boars pumped full of hallucinogenic mushrooms barreled ahead of the footsloggers. The war boars squealed as they charged, churning the meadows to mud as they carried their blood-crazed riders forward.

“Kill da Humans!” The Orc chieftain rode the largest war boar: a giant beast with iron caps bolted onto its yellow tusks and plates of blood-daubed steel dangling from its saddle and creating a suit of makeshift barding. “Kill ‘em all!”

The Orcs crashed into Todrik‘s line of soldiers, and the battle devolved into a bloody melee.

----------------------

“… and when the dust cleared,” Gwendolyn blew on her steaming mug of tea. “Commander Willamont was dead.”

Todrik’s son, Alric, was a heavy-set young man, tall and broad-shouldered from years of labor in the fields. He listened from the doorway.

Across from Gwendolyn, Todrik’s wife Jesemine sat and glared at the wizard with cold eyes.

“Is that so?” Jesemine whispered. “Just like that?”

“He killed the Orc champion. He held the line long enough for the Dragon Knights to come to our aid.” Gwendolyn sipped the tea, keeping her eyes downcast. “He perished a hero.”

Gwendolyn placed a long, wrapped pack onto the table.

“Alric. Commander Willamont often spoke of you. He wanted you to have this.” She waved her hand over the top of the bundle and the hemp rope came apart. Flaps of wrapping fell away, revealing a long-sword sheathed in an intricately decorated scabbard. 

The pommel was sculpted to resemble a roaring dragon. The silver cross-guard held glittering emeralds that twinkled in the candlelight.

Alric Willamont picked up the sword. The blade hissed and rang as he pulled it free from the scabbard.

“It's magnificent.” Alric said.

“Brightstar was Todrik’s-Commander Willamont’s fabled relic weapon.” Gwendolyn said. “I hope that it serves you well, as it had served him.”

Jesemine pointed to the door.

“Get out of my house, witch. Never return.”

----------------------------

“Oh, my darling.” Gwendolyn said, weaving her magic.  “Please wake up.”

“What happened?” Todrik slurred as consciousness returned.

“The Orcs have broken and fled.” Gwendolyn said. “Their chieftain nearly caved in your skull.”

“Is it dead?”

“Aye.”

Todrik nodded, retrieving Brightstar from where it had fallen.

“Dead gods.” He swore. “One day, Gwen, you’ll take this thing to my family with news of my death.”

“Let us hope,” Gwendolyn declared, “that such a day never arrives.”

Offline nosuchmember

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
Hi Jan!

You welcome Eli. I have yet to read one of your stories that I didn't like. I hope to see more of your work.