Author Topic: 500 Words - Dark Fantasy Flash Fiction - “Monster”  (Read 116 times)

Offline EliTaffJr

• Aloha!
    • Twitter
500 Words - Dark Fantasy Flash Fiction - “Monster”
« on: February 16, 2019, 04:38:27 AM »
Would you abandon your child if it meant saving him or her from a life on the run? That’s what I wanted to address in the earlier story “Old Friends”, and that’s where this story picks up.

Philip is afflicted with severe mutation, and his mother, renowned imperial Battlemage Gwendolyn Greenbriar abandons him in their secluded mountain cabin. She possibly did it to look for a cure to the mutation afflicting the kingdom. She possibly left to fight for the King, so he would stop agents from hunting her and discovering Philip, for discovery would mean certain death for the poor lad.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), Philip has inherited his mother’s natural talent for magic, and he spends his entire life training in the cabin where he was born. Why wouldn’t he leave sooner than he did? Surely, he wanted to find his mother. Maybe he was waiting for Gwendolyn to return? Maybe he was afraid of the outside world?

Whatever the reason, Philip does eventually decide to leave the only world he’s ever known to join the world of the Humans. His journey is this story, and I hope you like it. BUT IF YOU DON’T, PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER! lol

MONSTER
500 Words

Philip was in many respects a normal eight-year-old boy. The immediate and most obvious differences were that Philip had a bull’s head, furry goat legs, and black cloven hooves.

These had replaced their respective human bits one morning and had never gone away.

“Mama?”

Philip’s tiny voice called. He searched the empty cabin.

“Mama?”

Philip stepped into the warm sunshine and took a deep breath, savoring the fresh mountain air.

Philip frowned, then sniffed again.

——————————————

Minutes later.

Philip stood beside the brook.

At the edge of the water were two patches of red on the bright green grass.

“Mama!” He shouted.

—————————————

Days later.

Philip sat at the kitchen table, staring at the copper cup before him.

Philip closed his eyes.

His breathing slowed.

The cup vibrated.

———————————————

Months later.

Philip opened his eyes.

He gripped a large branch in his calloused hands.

“Hyaaah!” He shouted, whacking the X painted onto the tree with mud.

Philip spun and kicked the X with a well-aimed hoof.

He thrust out his hand and concentrated.

A tiny ball of flame the size of a marble appeared in the air and slowly drifted toward the X.

It dissipated into smoke as it hit the tree.

Philip sighed.

—————————

Years later.

Philip meditated on the grass. He had grown tall and strong, and the horns on his bull’s head had grown to an arm’s length, tapering to deadly points at the ends.

He thrust his hand out, palm forward.

A bright fireball the size of a melon flew in a straight line. It soared across the field and slammed into the faded X on a distant tree, immolating it in a bright conflagration.

Philip left the farm and didn’t look back.

————————————

Hours later.

“Monster!”

The bandits had ambushed Philip as he travelled through the forest.

A large bandit in a faded blue and yellow uniform stumbled over the smoking, bloody bodies of his comrades.

He wielded a glowing, ornate sword.

“I’ll kill you!”

Philip threw down the broken halves of his staff.

The bandit charged.

——————————

Seconds later.

Philip gazed at the sword, admiring the silver dragon pommel and the glittering emeralds set into the cross guard.

“What are you?” He asked.

Only the dead surrounded him, and they did not respond.

————————————

Weeks later.

“The Crystal War is over!” The messenger shouted as he rode through Stormhaven City. “Vargo Duuk is defeated!”

Philip walked among the humans, smiling.

It hurt using so much power to maintain the invisibility, but Philip yearned to experience this joy firsthand, not hidden in the forest, watching from the underbrush.

Philip felt the pressure ease.

Someone was gently augmenting the power of his invisibility spell.

“Philip.”

She was older now, but her voice was still strong.

“Mama?” Philip gasped.

Gwendolyn Greenbriar appeared from the crowd.

“You left the cabin?” She said softly.

“How else would I have found you?”

Gwendolyn held her son for a long minute.

“I love you, my son.”

———————————

It was then that she noticed the sword strapped to his waist.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:45:08 AM by EliTaffJr »
Horror Flash Fiction Anthology - Killer Space Clown
http://bit.ly/2t2pNN8

Dark Fantasy Flash Fiction Anthology - Flashes of Death and Darkness
http://bit.ly/2ykzcTh

Join my mailing list and be the first to Beta read and receive FREE advanced review copies of all my work!
http://www.elitaffjr.com

Online heartsongjt

• A/K/A Jan (Sanford) Tetstone
    • The Spirit Within Poetry
Re: 500 Words - Dark Fantasy Flash Fiction - “Monster”
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »
Would you abandon your child if it meant saving him or her from a life on the run? That’s what I wanted to address in the earlier story “Old Friends”, and that’s where this story picks up.

Philip is afflicted with severe mutation, and his mother, renowned imperial Battlemage Gwendolyn Greenbriar abandons him in their secluded mountain cabin. She possibly did it to look for a cure to the mutation afflicting the kingdom. She possibly left to fight for the King, so he would stop agents from hunting her and discovering Philip, for discovery would mean certain death for the poor lad.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), Philip has inherited his mother’s natural talent for magic, and he spends his entire life training in the cabin where he was born. Why wouldn’t he leave sooner than he did? Surely, he wanted to find his mother. Maybe he was waiting for Gwendolyn to return? Maybe he was afraid of the outside world?

Whatever the reason, Philip does eventually decide to leave the only world he’s ever known to join the world of the Humans. His journey is this story, and I hope you like it. BUT IF YOU DON’T, PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE IT BETTER! lol

Eli,  Your writing is amazing. Thank you, for sharing.          Jan
Words are Weapons of Demons and Saints