Author Topic: Do you write every single day?  (Read 161 times)

Offline Lucian Hodoboc

• Lucian Hodoboc's blog
Do you write every single day?
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:57:19 AM »
One of the pieces of advice I see thrown around often is to write every single day. No matter how busy your schedule is, aspiring writers should take some time every day to sit and write at least a few sentences. Do you think this is achievable for everyone? Do you write everyday and, if so, how much? ???

Offline JameelaM

• Administrator
Re: Do you write every single day?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
Hey Lucian,

Great question and an excellent topic to bring up. I myself write everyday though most of my writing is for to do lists and random ideas that pop into my head as I go thru my days :)

The concept behind writing every day has to do with training your brain and creating consistency so that you form a new habit of writing every day...however it is a bit of a flawed system and we have to take into consideration how our brains actually work, which in most cases is geared towards failure or to prove our beliefs that we CAN'T write every day are true.

This article explains it far better than I can in this moment.

The short of it is that if you're not a professional writer, as in someone is paying you to write and you have deadlines lingering etc, then it's better to write during the times you can or are able to, when that is would be dependent on your schedule and time availability.

I think a better question to ask yourself is what are you trying to accomplish, are you writing a novel and want to complete it this year? If so how many chapters would you need to write each day or week to achieve that goal, then use that to determine the amount of time and how much writing you need to do each day.

Hopefully the information helps!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:43:34 PM by JameelaM »

Offline landmersm

• Better the Devil at Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 10:17:49 AM »
No. Attempting to do it every day while working 50+ hours a week - not to mention kids!!!! - is a bit much.

I try to do at least 5 days a week, and I try to do something. Anything. Write. Edit. Read. Re-read. As long as it's related to my own work, I figure I'm doing something productive.

Now, if any of you want to pay me to write, I'll happily do it full time!
My blog is  https://betterdevil.wordpress.com/  (It's new!)

Also, check out my self-published first novel, The Last Time

@ http://a.co/d/hP980yk  (Amazon link)

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »
Try for 250 words a day. It will go quickly.

You're not a writer if you don't write.

If you get out of practice, you'll notice the difference in your writing. The more you write, more your writing will improve, just like anything else.

All the best.

Have a bountiful day.
~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 05:26:06 AM »
I usually have a lot of daily writing,

Not that I am constantly writing on big novels or feature articles or aiming for specific word counts or something like that, it's more like writing notes, ideas concepts, writing emails, tweets, blog posts etc.

The great thing with the - Blog post - in particular is that you can also see the amount of views,
to get an idea about what blog posts you like. Especially when you also
write your comments & replies it makes me feel a little more confident
that I might actually have some blog posts that provide you with
some sort of value.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:31:44 AM by HPvD »
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com