Author Topic: Writing for Fun or Writing for Gain?  (Read 273 times)

Offline chidiwhite

• School of the Spirit
Writing for Fun or Writing for Gain?
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:56:02 AM »
This was the first question I asked myself before I began writing and it's indeed the first honest question every writer must answer to be able to last long in the writing industry.

As far as I am concern, I personally see writing as a gift that few people posses and since it is a gift, it has to be fun writing; yes I write for fun but I don't also deny the place of gain in writing!

What about you???
You can visit my blog for more details at https://theschoolofthespirit.blogspot.com/

Offline heartsongjt

• A/K/A Jan (Sanford) Tetstone
    • Heartsong's Diary
Re: Writing for Fun or Writing for Gain?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »
This was the first question I asked myself before I began writing and it's indeed the first honest question every writer must answer to be able to last long in the writing industry.

As far as I am concern, I personally see writing as a gift that few people posses and since it is a gift, it has to be fun writing; yes I write for fun but I don't also deny the place of gain in writing!

What about you???

Being a heartwriter,making a profit from my poetry/writing has never been an option for me. Below is what I posted on my first 'Spirit Within Poetry" site  ,many years ago. A site that people from all over the world visited:

The poetry posted on The Spirit Within Poetry pages are not here to sway anyone's opinion- or to push any belief I may have on others. The poetry reflects my feelings and beliefs; my heartaches, my happiness, my life experiences; my dreams and my love for my god- and all people.

I am not here for profit- My poetry will never be for sale. Because every word and thought are parts of me and four decades of my lifetime.
 It would be like selling a part of me.

Thank you,  for visiting!

thespiritwithinpoetry
  My poetry is copyrighted in heaven.....
 One can not copyright work God owns.....
 My poetry belongs to the world.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130722100938/http://thespiritwithinpoetry.com/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:39:41 PM by heartsongjt »
Words are Weapons of Demons and Saints

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
With many of the daily writing with things like writing notes, emails, blog posts, tweets, etc. etc. it's mostly simply practical gain.
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline trainer

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 03:26:54 AM »
I do both. I write for fun and for a living. A lot has changed since I last posted here. Freelancing as a tutor got a little too difficult: managing parents'/students' expectations, having to spoonfeed, and putting up with very little pay. I've now taken up editing and writing for a living. I edit research papers for enago whenever I find the time and suitable assignments, and the editing I'm required to do involves a lot of rewriting, which is rewarding sometimes. Otherwise it's just tedious. On the other hand, I'm also looking to apply for SME (Subject Matter Expert) roles; these typically involve writing only. I've narrowed my choice down to this place called Bartleby if enago doesn't work out. I'm also creating a new resume, and I never thought it'd be so time-consuming. I've been at it for a week now, and it still needs more work. That's as far as writing for a living goes. Sometimes I wonder how nice it would be to work for Wikipedia (for the simple reason that I really admire the place).
Writing for fun: I've been reading The Crying Lot of 49, which has inspired me to try some free association-based writing. That is, exploring the threads between things that pop into my mind as I write, even if these seem unrelated.