Author Topic: Do you agree with Stephen King on this topic?  (Read 590 times)

Offline Lucian Hodoboc

• Lucian Hodoboc's blog
Do you agree with Stephen King on this topic?
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »
Stephen King posted this on the social networking site Twitter:

Do you agree with his opinion? In order to not hurt the creators' feelings, should we try to abstain from expressing critical opinion about the artistic works we don't like, whether they are literary works, movies, paintings etc.? Share your thoughts on the matter.

Offline thatollie

Re: Do you agree with Stephen King on this topic?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
That may not be exactly the reason why he's saying that. The last time he badmouthed a book series people read it out of morbid curiosity to see just how bad it was and it ended up selling a ton of copies.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »
True Ollie. Yet, it is good advice. There is that.

However, when it comes to being taken advantage of, as a consumer, some things are too horrible or too shifty to not warn other people about. If there was a snuff film, I'm sure Mr. King wouldn't mind objecting.

That being said, I'm sure there are times when even Stephen King reevaluates his stance in that comment but that comment was used under books. movies, and TV shows.

Reading and writing can be subjective and a matter of taste though, can't they? You may have loved, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, I walked out on the film. Objective - so I totally agree with his point of view in this context.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline heartsongjt

• A/K/A Jan (Sanford) Tetstone
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:15:04 PM »
Stephen King posted this on the social networking site Twitter:

Do you agree with his opinion? In order to not hurt the creators' feelings, should we try to abstain from expressing critical opinion about the artistic works we don't like, whether they are literary works, movies, paintings etc.? Share your thoughts on the matter.

One dose not have to "abstain" from giving an honest opinion, but they should voice their opinion, using the same tone - they would want others to use, when expressing an opinion about something they created. Wrong or right on your question "Do you agree with his opinion?" would depend on the way one would choose to express ones opinion. I like to think the value of exchanging opinions - includes respecting the feelings of the 'creator' of any form of art.

I hope , what I've written, makes sense.   It's been a long day for me.   Thank you, for raising the question.

In my opinion, Far to many people do not take into consideration the devastating effect, an opinion can have on some individuals [ who put their heart into their creation].

Jan
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:27:11 PM by heartsongjt »
Words are Weapons of Demons and Saints

Offline poetryman123

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 05:07:35 PM »
I agree.
yonathanasefaw.wordpress.com

Offline An Albatross Man

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
I agree about commenting publicly about works you hate. It's probably not worth the time, rarely changes anyone's mind, and makes you come off sounding like a snob.

That being said, spending time thinking/talking/writing about what you specifically dislike in someone else's book is actually quite valuable, I think. If nothing else, it gives you a clear idea of what to avoid doing in your own work.

Also, if the piece in question is actually popular, it may be worth your while to figure out why other people like it, even though you don't.  You might even find that you hate it for the exact same reason that other folks love it. I can tell you that's happened to me. (Want to talk about Boondock Saints?)

Offline Dwin

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 03:05:51 AM »
Someone out there may feel the same way about something you've written, anything is possible. Writers are supposed to be their own worst critics and (I'm told) have the most frail of ego's in the world when it comes to their own 'creations'. Personally,I've always believed that it's nice to be nice so I guess that on this subject I have to agree with Stephen King.