Author Topic: The Soul of Man -Religious poem  (Read 896 times)

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
The Soul of Man -Religious poem
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
The Soul of Man

Oh, youth, innocents of yesterday gone by
 Lover of humanity, elude me not!

I beseech thee to know, while time robs,
 It likewise gives.

That the wisdom of living
 is found not in the beginning but in life's ending.

Great men have suffered greatly
 In an endless search to find
 The fountain of youth,
 The secrets of time.

Alas, blinded to thy light ,deaf to thy whispers,
 Overcome by things of the world,
 The flesh draws upon itself
 The ugliness of self gain!

Oh, youth You are ever present
 to those who forget not~ Thy beginning
 and walk in the ever shining light of God
 The beginning and the end
 The Creator of all things.

Oh, Youth! The secrets of time are written
 in the Heavens, and whispered by the angels
 to each heart and mind.

Unheeded, yet, ever present~
 The Fountain of Youth within the soul of man.

-Jan Tetstone
 12-23-90

This is not written to sway anyone's religious belief. From time to time I come across poems written before my daughter's death. They have special meaning, because they meant a lot to her, and stand as reminders(to me) of the price one sometimes is called upon to pay for having faith in their unseen god. This Life is the testing ground of ones belief. This poem is based solely on my beliefs about life, God, and the soul  of man.    jt
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:58:44 AM by JanTetstone »

Offline Everyman

Re: The Soul of Man -Religious poem
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 03:11:56 PM »
The more I read of your poetry Jan, the more I feel you are in touch with a supramundane pulse, we can only faintly grasp. When you look at the madness of the world - an egoistic struggle to claim material forms and resources. Such people- like the poem's warning to youth -may never see these material forms only exist as false-symbols of self; the sun, as a spiritual symbol of God made manifest in the physical. The house an extension of self. The seasons of winter and summer, symbolizing our own death and regeneration. Just as sleep symbolizes our gentle transition in the void of the unconscious, only to awake again. The physical is ephemeral, the more we grasp for power or wealth, the more we corrupt our spirit—that's the trap of the world. All is symbols. All is self. And there is a divine law at play. Poets, like yourself, live in a world of symbols—the threshold between the spiritual and the physical. How aptly you say:

Alas, blinded to thy light ,deaf to thy whispers,
 Overcome by things of the world,
 The flesh draws upon itself
 The ugliness of self gain!

Isn't this what most seek, in folly, when going out into the world? or else to consume things in order to find some fulfillment of self? Only to find it lacking, empty of content. As you say in one of your other poems, it's a fake world. I might have put this crudely, but I just wanted to say, thank you for your poems.

They're so wholesome and spiritually uplifting. They ought to be essential reading for these times.
Thanks for gracing us with your contributions, I'm often moved by the purity of your poetry.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:35:30 PM by Everyman »

Offline nosuchmember

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:12:05 PM »
Thanks for gracing us with your contributions, I'm often moved by the purity of your poetry.

Thank you Everyman. There is nothing impure about ones heart....The darkness in ones soul comes from living in the physical world more than in the spirit world. Your comment means a lot to my heart.  Again, thank you.       

Offline nosuchmember

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »
Thank you, again, Everyman. It's hard sometimes to keep self-pity from leaking out into my writings. I remind myself often of why it is, I write. Long ago when I needed to feel like I deserved to be loved, complete strangers showed me kindness, and human compassion. It was during that period of my life I learned the true meaning of 'love is a gift that keeps on giving."
Through my writing I am able to "put back" some of the love that has been given to me over the years.

Everyman, you have a gift to give to the world, through writing.  Only, you can turn your dream into a reality. MWC is an outlet out into the world. None here are perfect-many of us still have much to learn.

I once begged my god to please, never take my ability to care away from me. Without the ability to care beyond my self-there would be no purpose in life.

I hope you will consider returning to MWC.        jt
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:13:24 AM by JameelaM »