Author Topic: Hi, I'm Ubi  (Read 107 times)

Offline Ubi86

Hi, I'm Ubi
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Ubi. I'm from the Netherlands. Just like many of you, I love to write. At the moment I am working on a novel set in Venice and a series of short stories located in Amsterdam. I studied history and art history and you will find that many of my stories are set in the past.

I would love to get in touch with other writers, especially since my current writers group is Dutch. The Netherlands form a limited market, so I figured I would try and write in English. It is not my native language, so I apologize for any mistakes, but I believe I'll do just fine.

Among my favorite writers are Bram Stoker, Jane Austen, Ishiguro Kazuo, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Paulo Coelho and Isabelle Allende.

Regards, Ubi

JanTetstone

Re: Hi, I'm Ubi
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »
Again, Welcome to MWC.
Good luck with your writing.

Offline Mark T

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:13:13 PM »

Welkom Ubi, ek hoop u sal 'n skryf-tuis kry hierso. Ons sien uit vir voorbeelde van u werk.

Groete, Mark 

Offline landmersm

• Better the Devil at Wordpress
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
Hello and welcome!
My blog is  https://betterdevil.wordpress.com/  (It's new!)

Also, check out my self-published first novel, The Last Time

@ http://a.co/d/hP980yk  (Amazon link)

Offline Il Penseroso

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:18:57 PM »
Welcome Ubi.

Offline JameelaM

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:04:01 PM »
Hi Ubi,

Welcome aboard, happy to have you here and thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Your English is just fine, and not to worry we all make mistakes when we're stepping out of our comfort zone, I commend you taking the leap into a community that is outside your native tongue, bravo!

I hope you don't mind the questions, I'm wondering about the writers you listed as being among your favorites, what is it about them or their writing style that you appreciate? Have you found that their books or writing styles have influenced yours or inspire you to write?

Offline Ubi86

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
Thank you all for this warm welcome, I really appreciate it.

Of course, I don't mind questions, please do. What I love about these writers is their elaborate, dreamy way of describing the environment, emotions. I love the Romantic era and the stories they tell have a certain melancholy, beauty, tragedy that appeals to me. Friends joke I was born in the wrong era.

Jane Austen is perhaps the exception, but I enjoy her style because it is really timeless. Even 200 years after her work is very popular and easy to read.

I believe your favorite writers always influence your own work. Every one wants to create something beautiful and your frame of mind of beauty lays within these writers.

In my work I would like to do exactly what I enjoy about my favorite books. There is a certain sadness in my characters and they often fail in achieving their goals, or succeed and find it is not what they wanted after all. I also like to describe the environment, the way of dress, the room, the smells, the gestures they make.

What are your favorite writers and what do you adopt from their work in your own?