Author Topic: Quality of critiques (namely mine)  (Read 317 times)

Offline landmersm

• Better the Devil at Wordpress
Quality of critiques (namely mine)
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:22:17 PM »
I'm still new here, but I've read through other member's reviews/critiques of works and sometimes feel like I can't give a good enough review in comparison. I've found that I like ideas and the feel of a story. I notice the grammar and punctuation, but in all honesty, as long as it's not a glaring mile long run-on or just blatantly 1st grade, it doesn't bother me. (I've read enough Cormac McCarthy to not be too bothered with a writer's choice of punctuation either.) if I read something and I immediately "feel" into it, then I'll like it.

I guess what I'm saying, I'm a big picture kinda guy. I look at what the writer is trying to say or what the tale is trying to tell me, and then I go from there. I see others doling out these profound reviews that make mine sound like a simpleton studying a doorknob.

So, to sum it up, if I read your submission and end up saying something short and brief, I'm not trying to be dismissive or just get my post count up. I just don't know any other way to sum it up. It may not be what people are looking for when submitting something here. If so, I apologize. 
My blog is  https://betterdevil.wordpress.com/  (It's new!)

Also, check out my self-published first novel, The Last Time

@ http://a.co/d/hP980yk  (Amazon link)

Offline hillwalker3000

• Global Moderator
Re: Quality of critiques (namely mine)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:17:53 AM »
Even the briefest comment is valuable. It shows you took the time to read the post and offer a few thoughts. Some of us can't switch off our 'writing head' when we read a piece, but it's often the reader's perspective that's more meaningful. So in a nutshell - keep doing what you're doing.

H3K

JanTetstone

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 07:30:22 AM »
Even the briefest comment is valuable. It shows you took the time to read the post and offer a few thoughts. Some of us can't switch off our 'writing head' when we read a piece, but it's often the reader's perspective that's more meaningful. So in a nutshell - keep doing what you're doing.

H3K

I agree 100% with H3K:  keep doing what you're doing.    jt

Offline Tak

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »
Stop doubting yourself.

Offline landmersm

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
I wouldn't really call it doubting, although I can see how it sounds that way.  I just wanted to make sure I was being supportive of others.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 04:27:53 AM »
Almost any feedback, bar nasty personal attacks, can be useful.  As Hillwalker said, sometimes it's difficult to turn off your proofreader's head when reading anything.  If a story is compelling enough and told with conviction the spelling errors and missing words do become less noticeable.

But if those gaps, or errors, or dubious word choices change the intended meaning of what's been written then they will jar horribly.  Any aspiring writer will appreciate having such things brought to their attention, even if it hurts at the time ;-)

Creation can be a fiery process, but editing is cold.  Reviewing comes somewhere between the two.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:25:31 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Il Penseroso

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »
Land, I understand what you mean. I feel horribly incapable of writing worthwhile critiques but I give it my best anyway. Because if I don't, I'll never be any good at it, and that's for sure. Besides, my rational self knows all this "good crits talk" is bollocks. All reviews are valuable, even if we feel hopelessly inadequate when writing them.

People may or may not like our critiques, but that still doesn't mean they're worthless. Critiques can - and have to be - harsh at times. Not everyone can deal with that equally well. And sometimes a piece of writing is so good, we just don't know anything to say but "that's brilliant." Or there are issues with the writing that we don't notice, but others do, and hopefully point them out. That's OK too. We don't have to know it all.

We only have to do our best. That should be enough.

Offline Tak

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
I do believe in my critiques. I mean, if I didn't believe in them, it would be poor of me to advise others to change their story.

This doesn't mean that what I believe in now, will never change. It has before, it will again; as I learn more about writing. Readers evolve, and so should my writing and understanding of those changes.

I believe that getting a 'how it felt' review is important, after all with just grammar, structure, spelling...  you only get the frame work of a story. So a reader's pov is vastly important to receive. Don't kid yourself about its worth.

Both the technique in writing, and ability to grab the imagination of a reader, are needed.

Also don't be hesitant to speak your mind about the grammar and such. I still learn things and so would appreciate another pov.

Best writing and critiquing :)

to you

Tak
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:36:07 PM by Tak »

Offline Mark T

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »

Just think of your posts as comments and not critiques, and that should help.  ;D
I think what's valuable to anyone looking for comments is the general take of the reader, how the writing made him feel is important. Just speak your mind fairly.   

Offline landmersm

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »
My main concern was wanting to be helpful here. This seems like a nice site, and I just wanted to make sure I was contributing. :D