Author Topic: Question about how my writing is being edited  (Read 1827 times)

Offline indar

Re: Question about how my writing is being edited
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 09:18:47 AM »
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37435.The_Secret_Life_of_Bees

We could form a collective and co-write a book titled "The Secret Life of Poets".

Offline heartsongjt

• A/K/A Jan (Sanford) Tetstone
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37435.The_Secret_Life_of_Bees

We could form a collective and co-write a book titled "The Secret Life of Poets".

I didn't know poets had secret lives. (Just untold stories.)  8)   I think you should write
the story about cows.              jt
Words are Weapons of Demons and Saints

Offline indar

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 10:25:28 AM »
REALLY?? I think we are a massively misunderstood group of people---take my own family for instance----please

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
REALLY?? I think we are a massively misunderstood group of people---take my own family for instance----please

Just my thoughts:  Poets/poetesses live in both, the spiritual and the physical worlds. I've found that such individuals tend to be, sort of black sheep - in their own birth families.  Its our differences that set us apart. It's our lack of communication that keeps us divided. Many ,in our world, cut us off because of our ability to see (feel) things they would rather none know but them. A poet/poetess sees more with their inner eyes. I believe the size of ones heart has much to do with their ability to communicate their feelings through their writing.

I have been "a black sheep" all my life. I may not fit into other peoples' worlds but I fit perfectly into my own.   jt     

Offline indar

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
Pay me no mind---I'm in a silly mood

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
Pay me no mind---I'm in a silly mood

The world needs more silly. I think we all, at times, take life too serious.   Instead of living it, we  waste life worrying about things we can't change. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:39:50 PM by JanTetstone »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 01:52:58 PM »
Just my thoughts:  Poets/poetesses live in both, the spiritual and the physical worlds. I've found that such individuals tend to be, sort of black sheep - in their own birth families.  Its our differences that set us apart. It's our lack of communication that keeps us divided. Many ,in our world, cut us off because of our ability to see (feel) things they would rather none know but them. A poet/poetess sees more with their inner eyes. I believe the size of ones heart has much to do with their ability to communicate their feelings through their writing.

I have been "a black sheep" all my life. I may not fit into other peoples' worlds but I fit perfectly into my own.   jt     

And those of us with the intuition or empathy to see and feel more than most other people are comfortable with should remember that some things are best left private.  Or only shared with others under the guise of fiction.

As a keen 'people watcher' I notice many things which don't need to be shared.

People's private lives are their business, unless they negatively impact on yours.  I'm inclined to adopt a variation on the three wise monkeys. "Hear all, see all, say nowt."

My mother was a Witch, and her guiding rule was "First harm nobody."  That ruling includes yourself.  Something the over acquiescent and too-forgiving tend to forget.

There's a lot to be said for seeing the silly side of life.  But the barbed wit of Oscar Wilde or Dorothy Parker is more about intellectual one-upmanship.  An unhealthy smugness.  I prefer a gentle wry amusement at the fancies and foibles of myself and those who share this planet with me.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:55:02 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 02:35:16 PM »
And those of us with the intuition or empathy to see and feel more than most other people are comfortable with should remember that some things are best left private.  Or only shared with others under the guise of fiction.

As a keen 'people watcher' I notice many things which don't need to be shared.

People's private lives are their business, unless they negatively impact on yours.  I'm inclined to adopt a variation on the three wise monkeys. "Hear all, see all, say nowt."

My mother was a Witch, and her guiding rule was "First harm nobody."  That ruling includes yourself.  Something the over acquiescent and too-forgiving tend to forget.

There's a lot to be said for seeing the silly side of life.  But the barbed wit of Oscar Wilde or Dorothy Parker is more about intellectual one-upmanship.  An unhealthy smugness.  I prefer a gentle wry amusement at the fancies and foibles of myself and those who share this planet with me.

Gyppo

Thank you Gyppo. That's why I'm a heart-writer.

I was taught not to hide my past-there will always be someone digging for skeletons -in your closet, hoping to use them against you. This has proven to be very true. At least, in my near 70 years of living.

I believe that truth has a place and time.
And regardless of how one labels it (fiction, non-fiction) truth will always out the liar.   jt

Offline indar

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
Gyppo--glad to see you still pop in to MWC--thanks all for a discussion thread---they are in short supply these days aren't they?

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
Gyppo--glad to see you still pop in to MWC--thanks all for a discussion thread---they are in short supply these days aren't they?

You welcome indar. I have learned a lot about cows. I never knew butter was used in sculpturing.     As for Gyppo, he has long been one of my favorite people. And I hope he continues popping in.         

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 01:42:33 AM »
Jan,  here's a link to something Indar wrote a few years back about State Fairs and butter sculpting.  Quite a lengthy read, so don't try and rush it ;-)

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=59591.msg1125213#msg1125213
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 08:54:16 AM »
Jan,  here's a link to something Indar wrote a few years back about State Fairs and butter sculpting.  Quite a lengthy read, so don't try and rush it ;-)

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=59591.msg1125213#msg1125213

Gyppo,   Indar  is an amazing writer and  her talents endless . Thank you, my friend, for the link.

Offline indar

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
Holy Cow Gyppo,
You found that!. It has progressed to a 44,000 word undertaking. I have interviewed over 30 past Dairy Princesses. Written histories of famous cows including DH Lawrence's cow in New Mexico named Susan. Cows are absolutely amazing. Learned about robotic milking systems and Harvesting machines with computers that measure crops every 30 seconds and give the operator GPS coordinates---they literally know every square inch of their fields. and I caught up with the now middle age women I first sculpted from as far back as 1972. Its been quite a ride. I'm almost done.

Thank you Gyppo for sending that link and thank you Jan for reading it.

Offline heartsongjt

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
Thank you Gyppo for sending that link and thank you Jan for reading it.

I'm at a loss for words. Indar you are an amazing person. I'm happy I got the chance to read it.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
Holy Cow Gyppo,
You found that!

The circle's own search engine is quite an amazing tool as long as you can remember a distinctive phrase or two from something you read in the past.  Having a rag-bag memory full of scraps is a useful attribute for a writer ;-)

I occasionally fish up stuff from 2006 when the circle was new.

A single word usually finds far too many hits, but a specific phrase like "Dairy Queen" or even "Sweet Timothy" tends to produce a single page.

It has progressed to a 44,000 word undertaking.

Excellent.  I'm glad you stuck with it.

Gyppo