Author Topic: Question about how my writing is being edited  (Read 1675 times)

Offline indar

Re: Question about how my writing is being edited
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
I recently went back to the first poem I posted when I joined MWC in 2009--hey--it wasn't half bad. I wonder where some of those first people have gone---the boards were so active. I look for forums that are similar to the early days but haven't found one yet.

Online heartsongjt

• A/K/A Jan (Sanford) Tetstone
    • The Spirit Within Poetry
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »
I recently went back to the first poem I posted when I joined MWC in 2009--hey--it wasn't half bad. I wonder where some of those first people have gone---the boards were so active. I look for forums that are similar to the early days but haven't found one yet.

That's because old forums belong to old times..... Many of the older MWC members accounts are still active  That's a good sign. Hopefully, older members will realize that  "it's old and new members who are the life blood of MWC."

I feel privileged to be a member of MWC.        jt
Words are Weapons of Demons and Saints

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
There's a quote along the lines of 'The past is a foreign land, we did things differently there.'.

We did.  One of the reasons was we had time to do them.  We weren't bombarded by all the wonderful new things which 'Everybody does'.

We simply aren't the 'me too' click on 'like or dislike' generation.  I'm sure we were equally dismissive of things we didn't like, but we didn't waste half our lives online telling people we didn't like it, or them.  We saved our words, and time for something we enjoyed.  We made fun of our own disasters, or just quietly pulled our horns in and endured until they passed.

The older I get the more I realise the truth in that opening quote.  Which is why, sometimes, we follow The Beach Boys' advice to Get Back Together and Do It Again.  Not the best of songs, certainly not one of my anthems as a youth, but the message is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fUyRp0NEzo
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:55:51 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline indar

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
Trouble with clicking on a youtube music link is I go down the rabbit hole every time. The Beach Boys---sold out by their own father. Sad story--good music.

I usually hang out almost exclusively on the poetry boards--my true love. Not much action there lately--on any site. Gyppo, you probably have identified the problem--or at least part of it

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
It's a damned deep rabbit hole at times ;-)

Boards need a certain level of 'active' membership to thrive and grow.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:51:45 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline indar

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 05:00:27 PM »
OK I posted one of mine in Poetry Workshop---let's see one of yours :)