Author Topic: Rules for Capitalization  (Read 1033 times)

Offline nosuchmember

• Heartsong's Poetry  Diary
Rules for Capitalization
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
Rules for Capitalization

(1) Capitalize the beginning of a sentence:

Father could not go with us.

(2) Capitalize all proper names:

(a) Names of persons: George, Henry, Mary Brown
    (b) Names of places: New York, Washington, Little Rock, Chicago, San Francisco, Cape of Good Hope
    (c) Names of continents and countries: United States, Canada, North America, Europe
    (d) Names of states, cities, streets: Texas, Illinois, Arkansas, Philadelphia, Main Street, Jackson Boulevard
    (e) Names of rivers, mountains: Red River, Mt. Washington, Pikes Peak, Mount Everest, Bald Mountain
    (f) Names of schools, buildings, churches, business houses: Lincoln School, Empire State Building, Acme Market

(3) Capitalize proper adjectives: American, Canadian, Mexican, European

(4) Capitalize initials and abbreviations of proper nouns: J.H. Kennedy, Mt., St., Co.

(5) Capitalize titles with names: Uncle David, Aunt Alice, Cousin Bob, General Pershing, Superintendent Wright

(6) Capitalize words used to designate the Supreme Being: God, Savior, Jehovah

(7) Capitalize the days of the week, months of the year, and holidays: Wedesday, February, Christmas, Fourth of July

(8) Capitalize the first word of a direct quotation: The coach said, "I shall expect each boy to be present for practice after school, Monday."

(9) Capitalize the words I and O: I see no reason for waiting.  O Frank, come here.   

(10) Capitalize the first and last words in the titles of books, poems, stories, etc., and all other words except prepositions, conjunctions, and articles.

A Tale of Two Cities
The Psalm of Life
A Thrilling Experience
The Place of Sports in Our Schools
The Servant in the House

(11) Capitalize the names of the points of the compass when they refer to a certain section of the country: the South, the North, but-
           The south window is broken.

(12) Capitalize the first word and principal words in the salutation of a letter: Dear Mr. Franklin, My dear Mr. Franklin, Dear Cousin, Dear Sir, My dear Sir

(13) Capitalize the first word in the complimentary close of a letter: Very truly yours, Yours truly, Very sincerely yours, Sincerely yours

(14) is how I was taught: Capitalize the first word of every line of poetry:

A train is a dragon
                            That roars through the dark;
                          He wiggles his tail
                            As he sends up a spark.

Good luck with your writing.      jt
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:55:52 AM by JanTetstone »