Author Topic: Your day jobs?  (Read 50 times)

Offline Inky

Your day jobs?
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:41:44 AM »
Dear friends,

I recently got a new job as a fieldworker in market research - it is a fun and active job which allows me to travel across the city and talk to many people. Sometimes, I can even write little bits of my stories during lulls in work.

Now, I'm interested to know: what are your day jobs, fellow writers? Unless you are surviving as a full-time writer (which I imagine is quite rare)?

Have a nice day, everyone
Inky

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Your day jobs?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:52:43 AM »
I have always had a 'proper' job as well as being a writer.  Although in my own mind most of them were part-time to keep the rent and food coming in.

Baker, postman, showman, working on the belt at Nintendo shoving games in boxes, and all sorts of short term things to earn a bob or two.  All these jobs also offered excellent 'people watching' opportunities, thus providing a wonderful pool of raw material to work with.  Something an 'Ivory Tower' writer wouldn't have ;-).

But I always found time to write, and you tend to become quite good at making the most of opportunities and time.  You learn to write to order, to turn on the creative juices almost as soon as you sit down to type.  In truth, often before, as you'll find yourself planning a scene or whatever on your way home from work.  You also sometimes find you've totally lost yourself in your writing and the night has passed and it's time to go and do your bread and butter job again.

Eventually this will take a toll on your health.  I got to my fifties before the cracks started to show, but I'm still paying for it now.

Now I'm retired and I'll admit that having a regular pension has taken some of the urgency from the need to earn extra.  My two girls are independent, and someone else is taking care of my ex-wife.

My day to day needs are modest, but my characters won't let me slack off too much ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Noizchild

• Tokyo-Zion Academy
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:37:23 PM »
Writing.
"It's not food anymore, Dean! It's Darwinism!" -- Sam Winchester from "Supernatural"

Online JanTetstone

• MWC Researcher
    • Heartsong's Diary
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
I never considered a job on whether or not it was a proper job: Cook, waitress, book keeper, midwife, home schooling parent, head-chainman(construction). rod-man (construction), and ,oh yeah, a bartender.

I am retired from construction layout business. Eight of my ten children are grown with children, and grandchildren of their own(I lost the other two to Heaven. One died in my hands, the other died on a highway. 

I have two talents (gifts), when my heart is moved, I draw and/or write .

I had two art showings in Bangladesh: 2014 and 2015.

My only job today: Is doing what needs to be done in the day.        jt