Author Topic: Laziness Plague Strikes Somalia  (Read 356 times)

Offline Everyman

Laziness Plague Strikes Somalia
« on: November 02, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
Television broadcast:

“This is Bakool, a town besieged by laziness. The soldiers are here to guard the shops, and repositories against hoards of entitled looters. Millions of scroungers and bludgers are going hungry in Somalia, it has been reported. But, it is the second enemy, fecklessness, which is the more dangerous enemy.

A hospital in Hargeisa.

Harrowing scenes of malnutrition and cholera– children arrive daily; victims of irresponsible parents, and service abusers. Full to capacity, makeshift tents and canopies shelter the overflow from the relentless Sub-Saharan sun outside. Staff report a lack of money to deliver effective treatment, and many, like 5-year-old Calas, who suffer diarrhea, cholera and severe undernourishment, will perish hoping for a successful business innovation.

Some, like Geyre - an aspiring entrepreneur - have used their machine guns in a futile effort to instill labor discipline in the area, <Sweating Somalian in garish Hawaiian shirt speaks under beating sun, whilst a pompous Englishman overdubs:> “They are lazy. We give them everything, money for rent, for water, for food, and they spend it all on Benson and Hedges. All day, smoke, smoke, smoke. We've got trucks of corn and wheat ready to go, right now, but no money, because they spend it all on smoke. We need UN to send money, Somalians they are too lazy. Too lazy.”

Indeed, with what some have termed the laziness plague, having swept the entire breadth of the country, from Jabaland to Puntland; there seems to be no end in sight to the economic famine—the taproot of a tumultuous decline of marketable skills and personal responsibility.

For the moment, we can only hope businesses in the area will receive the international aid and cash-flow needed to leverage Somalia towards organic sustainability.

Back to you, Sydney

Shame. Yes, a great shame..."

The anchorman sighs.
------
Written in response to the New York Times who, in typical bourgeois hypocrisy, cited the Yemeni plight of class warfare, euphemistically, as an "economic famine".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:27:43 PM by Everyman »

JanTetstone

Re: Laziness Plague Strikes Somalia
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:14:40 PM »
Television broadcast:

“This is Bakool, a town besieged by laziness. The soldiers are here to guard the shops, and repositories against hoards of entitled looters. Millions of scroungers and bludgers are going hungry in Somalia, it has been reported. But, it is the second enemy, fecklessness, which is the more dangerous enemy.

A hospital in Hargeisa.

Harrowing scenes of malnutrition and cholera– children arrive daily; victims of irresponsible parents, and service abusers. Full to capacity, makeshift tents and canopies shelter the overflow from the relentless Sub-Saharan sun outside. Staff report a lack of money to deliver effective treatment, and many, like 5-year-old Calas, who suffer diarrhea, cholera and severe undernourishment, cling to the hope of a successful business innovation.

Some, like Geyre - an aspiring entrepreneur - have used their machine guns in a futile effort to instill labor discipline in the area, <Sweating Somalian in garish Hawaiian shirt speaks under beating sun, whilst a pompous Englishman overdubs:> “They are lazy. We give them everything, money for rent, for water, for food, and they spend it all on Benson and Hedges. All day, smoke, smoke, smoke. We've got trucks of corn and wheat ready to go, right now, but no money, because they spend it all on smoke. We need UN to send money, Somalians they are too lazy. Too lazy.”

Indeed, with what some have termed the laziness plague, having swept the entire breadth of the country, from Jabaland to Puntland; there seems to be no end in sight to the economic famine—the taproot of a tumultuous decline of marketable skills and personal responsibility.

For the moment, we can only hope businesses in the area will receive the international aid and cash-flow needed to leverage Somalia towards organic sustainability.

Back to you, Sydney

Shame. Yes, a great shame..."

The anchorman sighs.
------
Written in response to the New York Times who, in typical bourgeois hypocrisy, cited the Yemeni plight of class warfare, euphemistically, as an "economic famine".

Well written. Gives one something to think about.        jt
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:17:50 PM by JanTetstone »

Offline Everyman

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:18:16 PM »
/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:55:56 PM by Everyman »

Offline Everyman

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »
Sorry, I'm more passionate of the Yemen situation than is warranted for this forum. And I have been drinking; I promised to be good behavior, like a chloroformed hipster who majored in computer science. All smiles, neo-liberal, and slurping a Starbuck's latte, which seems to be the only acceptable personality type these days.

Thanks for your comment Jan.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:37:32 PM by Everyman »

JanTetstone

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 08:28:37 PM »
Your post brought this poem to mind.   jt

Evil's End

The evil that looms above
 the innocent
 devouring the purity
 shall find in the darkness
 of his wickedness
 the sword of justice
 as from his blackened heart
 upon the alter of righteousness
 for his crime against innocence
 fire from his filthy soul
 upon the alter bleeds.

For the innocent shall be healed
 and those who robbed them
 shall taste the sword that bears
 witness to their guilt.

For those blindly used to satisfy
 your lust, a chain shall bind
 you to the eternal flame.....
 No more will the tears of the innocent
 fall.......
 In your own evil you shall be consumed.

Think not that justice shall be swift
 For, not until your ashes are blown by
 the wind into every nation on earth
 and the thought of you has turned to dust
 Shall your debt to the innocent be paid.
             -Jan Tetstone

4:17pm May 9, 2015
(My 22yr old daughter was buried May 9, 1993)

Offline Everyman

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
Profound, Jan. I'm going to save that. You must be in touch with a higher intuition to write a poem like that. Swedenborg says we have a community of angels of heaven, and demons of hell acting on us always. And those, who are spirituality pure, the angels crowd to-- angels who receive directly the love and wisdom of god. I believe you're one of those people. Thanks for sharing. 

Offline Mark T

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 02:42:12 AM »

Yemen has been converted into another proxy battlefield in the Middle East resource wars. The gigantic pyramid scheme that is the global economy needs either more debt or new resources to sustain itself. Yemen doesn't have any resources to speak of but Iran does and the idea is to provoke a direct conflict of conquest with Iran, has been for many years. Saudi Arabia is doing the dirty work in Yemen this time. The end result is major suffering for the ordinary people of Yemen, as usual, and it hardly warrants a sound-bite on TV.

But I don't understand the Somalia connection you make.
Somalia is actually a very advanced country because they have no formal government, which is progress to my mind. The country functions, sort of. I had an opportunity to go and work there about a year ago, doing construction work around the airport for handsome dollars. The idea was to live in a security compound, exploit the local labour force, and put up with the occasional mortar or rocket attack by El Shebab. I turned it down because I'm getting too old for that sort of thing anymore.

Don't be shy to call a spade a spade - I won't censor any political expression here, people self-censor too much because of the surveillance paradigm we have fallen into as a species. And yes, you are on a final warning for anti-social behaviour, as agreed between us. I don't see any problems in that regard so thank you for an interesting and well-written post, Billy.

Offline Everyman

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 05:29:15 AM »
I agree with your analysis of the Middle East, and Yemen, Mark. It's a damn shame. And let us not forget the filthy role of US, who would have everyone believe it is Iran's Houthi rebel movement to blame, who overthrew their brutal puppet regime 3 years ago. As usual they seek to turn reality on its head. It's more Saudi Arabia, who are being supplied by arms manufacturers in both US and UK. It shouldn't be tolerated, not in a rational humane world. Those children are being left to die, by an uncaring government, because they are poor, and it is political willed they be sacrificed on the alter of Moloch; which is capitalism.

We send commodities all over the earth every day- sometimes ordering from China is cheaper than buying locally, so vast and efficient is the international distribution of goods. Yet, when we produce 500% the food we need, we allow millions of children to starve to death. It should be treated as a genocide, and, if we lived a world that wasn't hypocritical and didn't depend on such forms of absolute barbaric murder, genocide and ruthless exploitation, there would long ago have been an international body to deal swiftly with governments who commit such atrocities. The whole world is crawling with hypocrites and it stinks!

And my point being, calling such plunder and deliberate genocide "economic famine" is just a ridiculous as saying it is a "laziness plague", since all value, and production is derived from the labour of working-classes. The produce is there, but all anyone, including the media seem to care about is upholding capitalist relations. It's another example of how the media omits any class analysis and instead uses weasel words and equivocation as an evasion. I didn't want to refer to Yemen directly, as I felt it might be insensitive, and I don't know much about what is going on on the ground there. I wanted to write a short fictional piece using some of the filthy trash, and underhand reactionary content which seeps through into the media occasionally. Of course, it's short and absurd. But I wrote to dislodge a bitter rancorous indignation. Thanks for you reassurances, and your thoughtful comment.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:23:14 PM by Everyman »