Author Topic: Writer's disappointment - what are yours?  (Read 137 times)

Offline Inky

Writer's disappointment - what are yours?
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
Dear friends,

People often state that the literary/arts community is extremely competitive and that anyone lacking resilience should quit - I agree with this idea but also believe that it is enforced in unhelpful ways. I will speak very generally, because I have noticed these themes in my own and other emerging writers' journeys.

Writers often experience disappointment when they fail to achieve some goal (e.g., win a writing grant, place in competition) but feel pressured to bottle up their negative emotions. Some fear that if they express their disappointment, others will simply tell them to quit because they 'lack resilience'. However, I think it is more helpful to give them feedback on how to improve their writing technique and reassure them that not achieving their goal does not make them a failed writer forever. After all, failure and disappointment are completely normal - but people (not just writers) are told to avoid both at all costs.

What disappointments have you experienced? For me, I often feel frustrated that my progress is not fast enough, since I haven't managed to win any substantial grants or competitions.

Thank you for  reading this post
I look forward to hearing your responses

Inky

Offline JanTetstone

• MWC Researcher
    • Heartsong's Diary
Re: Writer's disappointment - what are yours?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:42:25 AM »
Dear friends,

People often state that the literary/arts community is extremely competitive and that anyone lacking resilience should quit - I agree with this idea but also believe that it is enforced in unhelpful ways. I will speak very generally, because I have noticed these themes in my own and other emerging writers' journeys.

Writers often experience disappointment when they fail to achieve some goal (e.g., win a writing grant, place in competition) but feel pressured to bottle up their negative emotions. Some fear that if they express their disappointment, others will simply tell them to quit because they 'lack resilience'. However, I think it is more helpful to give them feedback on how to improve their writing technique and reassure them that not achieving their goal does not make them a failed writer forever. After all, failure and disappointment are completely normal - but people (not just writers) are told to avoid both at all costs.

What disappointments have you experienced? For me, I often feel frustrated that my progress is not fast enough, since I haven't managed to win any substantial grants or competitions.

Thank you for  reading this post
I look forward to hearing your responses

Inky

Some very good advice I found at : https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/writing-and-the-creative-life-trust-the-process-cebce58af78c

It seem to fit in with what you posted. 
Thank you for your post Inky.    jt

The author Shaun McNiff is an artist, seemingly far removed from the world of screenwriting.
But what he has to say is fundamental to storytelling:

Whether in painting, poetry, performance, music, dance, or life,
there is an intelligence working in every situation. This force is
the primary carrier of creation.

If we trust it and follow its natural movement, it will astound us
with its ability to find a way through problems — and even make
creative use of our mistakes and failures.

There is a magic to this process that cannot be controlled by the
ego. Somehow it always finds the way to the place where you need to
be, and a destination you never could have known in advance.

When everything seems hopeless and going nowhere… trust the process.