Author Topic: Characters in Scenes  (Read 105 times)

Offline JWHMarshall

Characters in Scenes
« on: October 06, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
Hey Team,

Can anyone recommend a good resource about the role of characters in scenes? I am specifically interested in the relationship between characters and plot.

As I'm writing I've realised that I may be prematurely posting this - I did do a quick search through the forum but nothing grabbed me. I am about to extend my search more broadly (by that I mean 'type several words into google and lackadaisically review the results') and I will post anything I find here.

Though I should say, I think SEO methods and ecommerce have created something of an echo chamber with some of this stuff - a lot of it seems homogenous and self-referential. And superficial - 'Top 7 fiction character archetypes' articles and so on. I'm looking for a thick text book on the subject.

Thanks heaps, everyone / anyone!

Offline JanTetstone

• Heartsong's Diary
Re: Characters in Scenes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
Hey Team,

Can anyone recommend a good resource about the role of characters in scenes? I am specifically interested in the relationship between characters and plot.

As I'm writing I've realised that I may be prematurely posting this - I did do a quick search through the forum but nothing grabbed me. I am about to extend my search more broadly (by that I mean 'type several words into google and lackadaisically review the results') and I will post anything I find here.

Though I should say, I think SEO methods and ecommerce have created something of an echo chamber with some of this stuff - a lot of it seems homogenous and self-referential. And superficial - 'Top 7 fiction character archetypes' articles and so on. I'm looking for a thick text book on the subject.

Thanks heaps, everyone / anyone!

The Story Tips site  has a lot of info on the subject.....   Hope this help you find the answers you are looking for.     jt

January 6, 2013 · 12:05 pm 
0015: Relationship between Plot and Characters

Two of the major divisions are characters and plot. From the most basic standpoint, characters are the people involved, and plot is the events that happen. However, the two aren’t just mutually exclusive categories but are in fact intimately related. This relationship between plot and characters isn’t just a one-sided relationship, though. It goes the other way. Just as the plot can affect the characters, the characters can also affect the plot. The events of a story shouldn’t just be events randomly jumping out of bushes going “HEY YOU THERE CHARACTER I’M GONNA GET YOU.” To a certain extent, the characters’ own actions and reactions should be pushing the plot forward. Basically, as you progress further in your story, establishing the cause-effect relationships of the events and how the characters’ motivations, actions, reactions, inaction, etc.

Moreover, by considering plot with the characters in mind, it usually becomes easier to think of ideas for what to write. It’s no longer about what can happen but rather what should happen that would have this particular effect on this particular character. If you start out thinking about what the character’s goal is, you can come up with obstacles to that goal. If you want the character to learn some lesson, you can set up conflicts that will teach that lesson.

https://storytiips.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/0015-relationship-between-plot-and-characters/

Offline JWHMarshall

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
Thanks Jan! I've bookmarked that!

Appreciate the tip.

Edit: that was an inadvertent pun, by the way.

Offline JanTetstone

• Heartsong's Diary
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »
Thanks Jan! I've bookmarked that!

Appreciate the tip.

Edit: that was an inadvertent pun, by the way.

You are very welcome.