Author Topic: Hello Fellow Writers!!  (Read 165 times)

Offline rkeller1373

Hello Fellow Writers!!
« on: September 29, 2018, 12:51:59 AM »
My name is Robb and I am new here, although I am not new to writing.  I have been writing since high school (almost 30 years), took creative writing classes in college, got published in a journal, and then took many years off

My favorite genres to write are YA and non-fiction.  A bit bizarre I know, but it works well for me.  I am trying to get the hang of writing in Word and using the correct fonts, margins, etc. for publishing.  I am used to either handwriting my manuscripts or using a manual typewriter. 

I am an avid reader of all things really.  I read horror, short stories, poems, sci-fi, fantasy, and a wide range of nonfiction.  I have to say that my favorite author of all time is Ernest Hemingway, while my favorite living author is Rick Riordan.  The authorial and character voices in their works are amazing and something I want to imitate. 

When I'm not reading or writing, I like to read other people's works to give what little helpful bits I can to help improve the writing or, at a minimum, tell them what I really like about the writing.  When I took creative writing classes, the best part of the class were the criticisms because that is where I truly learned craft.  I not only saw what was wrong with my writing, but also what readers were looking for in the story. 

I just recently learned about this site  from a google search.  I hope to help other writers become the best they can be while they help me do the same.

Say hello to me and check out my writing as I hope to check out yours.

Offline Mark T

• Administrator
Re: Hello Fellow Writers!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 03:50:03 AM »

Hi Robb, and welcome to MWC. Thanks for your well-written introduction. I'm Mark and I help to run the place. Have a browse-around and ask any questions if you like. The site's about participation and mutual support in pursuit of our writing goals and dreams.

I'm open to practical suggestions in this regard. One exercise that might be fruitful and pleasant would be to have one of you guys post a chunk of writing, say 500 or 1000 words, for critical review, suggestions and improvements. We could then go through that process, you find an edited version, and then we ask H3K to analyze the result - H3K is very good at that sort of thing. We could make it competitive with a couple of blocks of prose up in parallel. Stuff like that, or even this could be fleshed out.

Anyway, welcome again and I hope you find a writing home here.
Mark

Online JanTetstone

• Heartsong's Diary
Re: Hello Fellow Writers!!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:40:07 PM »
Hello Robb
Welcome to MWC.        jt