Author Topic: Hi, Everyone.  (Read 204 times)

Offline JWHMarshall

Hi, Everyone.
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
Hi All,

And thanks, Mark T, for your welcome a few days back. My name is James. I've joined the forum to attempt to learn with other members and to help others learn if I can. I'm also interested in sharing views and critiquing others' work, and having my own work critiqued.

I would describe my relationship to writing as 'inconstant' - I haven't yet focussed my efforts for long enough to produce anything of tangible value but I still hope to, someday!

Part of me wonders how much natural aptitude has to do with the whole endeavour of writing fiction and how much of it is craft. It's clearly up for debate but it seems to me that the more experience I get, the more I can ascribe successful work to technique or principle and not merely a facility with language or artistic sensibility. Who knows.

Anyway, my favourite authors and influences include Orwell, Nabokov, Amis and probably Hemingway for his ubiquity in the various writing courses that I've done, though I do think some of his work is too stark and sterile. When I was young I used to read a whole bunch of fantasy, so there's that part of me as well. In fact, this is probably the genre I'm most comfortable writing fiction in.

My writing projects at the moment include a novella sized fan-fiction multimedia piece based in the Witcher world and few creative essays, and an original fantasy Novella that has been going nowhere for a long time - it could be time to chuck that one in and start again, though it does seem like a waste.

Anyway, if you've read this far - it's a pleasure to meet you and I'll talk to you around the forum - cheers.

James

Offline Mark T

Re: Hi, Everyone.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »

Thank you, James. That's a great example of how to write an introduction. You raise several interesting issues, germane to the writing fraternity. I think writers are readers first, with a love of reading, and then the urge to write arises in those with a streak of  intrinsic creativity. At this point, things get interesting for a variety of reasons.  ;D
We can discuss many of these aspects, going forward. Welcome again.
Mark   

Offline JWHMarshall

Re: Hi, Everyone.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:02:03 PM »
Thanks Mark - I appreciate your kind words. Cheers.