Author Topic: What other words can be used to replace said?  (Read 51 times)

Offline JanTetstone

• Heartsong's Diary
What other words can be used to replace said?
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
Here are dialogue words you can use instead of ‘said’, categorised by the kind of emotion or scenario they convey:

Anger:

Shouted, bellowed, yelled, snapped, cautioned, rebuked.

Affection:

Consoled, comforted, reassured, admired, soothed.

Excitement:

Shouted, yelled, babbled, gushed, exclaimed.

Fear:

Whispered, stuttered, stammered, gasped, urged, hissed, babbled, blurted.

Determination:

Declared, insisted, maintained, commanded.

Happiness:

Sighed, murmured, gushed, laughed.

Sadness:

Cried, mumbled, sobbed, sighed, lamented.

Conflict:

Jabbed, sneered, rebuked, hissed, scolded, demanded, threatened, insinuated, spat, glowered.

Making up:

Apologised, relented, agreed, reassured, placated, assented.

Amusement

Teased, joked, laughed, chuckled, chortled, sniggered, tittered, guffawed, giggled, roared.

Storytelling:

Related, recounted, continued, emphasized, remembered, recalled, resumed, concluded.

Source:
https://www.nownovel.com/blog/dialogue-words-other-words-for-said/

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: What other words can be used to replace said?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:26:32 AM »
Sometimes you do need a 'speech tag', but more often, if you chosen your dialogue carefully, the words themselves will convey the emotion.

In my experience the times when you do need a speech tag is when the words are used deliberately out of the normal context and the reader would benefit from a little nudge in the direction you intended.  Such as when a man calls another man a bastard, but in an admiring or appreciative way.

Battlefield dialogue perhaps, along the lines of "You're a bastard, Docherty."  Admiring his ruthlessness.  "But you're our bastard."

Like everything in writing all techniques and tricks can be overdone, and ideally they will work without the reader being aware of them.  Your writing is the vehicle for the story, not an end in itself.

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline JanTetstone

• Heartsong's Diary
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »
Sometimes you do need a 'speech tag', but more often, if you chosen your dialogue carefully, the words themselves will convey the emotion.

In my experience the times when you do need a speech tag is when the words are used deliberately out of the normal context and the reader would benefit from a little nudge in the direction you intended.  Such as when a man calls another man a bastard, but in an admiring or appreciative way.

Battlefield dialogue perhaps, along the lines of "You're a bastard, Docherty."  Admiring his ruthlessness.  "But you're our bastard."

Like everything in writing all techniques and tricks can be overdone, and ideally they will work without the reader being aware of them.  Your writing is the vehicle for the story, not an end in itself.

Gyppo

You are right Gyppo.
 But, having a list of words that can replace the word said, might benefit some (like me) who do not have the knowledge of authors/writers, such as yourself.

I am so happy to see you active on MWC. I miss reading posts from you and other writers, I read on the boards the first time I joined MWC, many years ago. 
Welcome back to your writers circle.

jt

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
I'm not back full time.  But...
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline JanTetstone

• Heartsong's Diary
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »
I'm not back full time.  But...
[/quote
I look forward to reading your comments here at MWC -anytime.